Pages: [1]
sio
BAM!ID: 182184
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2015-02-24 11:43:23

I crunch boinc projects with a dual Xeon E5420 PC with dual Radeon R7 260X, and Windows 10. I won't change that, but i want help to choose the right projects and subprojects to maximize the Boinc credit i get from this hardware and OS.

I currently run Moo! Wrapper (CPU/GPU), Einstein@Home (CPU/GPU), Primegrid (CPU) and SETI (CPU/GPU). Credits per CPU hour and GPU hour varies grately. What projects and subprojects gives me the most credits per hour with my hardware and OS?
microchip

BAM!ID: 21080
Credits: 473,974,922
World-rank: 3,648

2015-02-24 18:16:04
last modified: 2015-02-24 18:17:44

Why are you focusing on credits? Are you one of those "credit whores"? BOINC is about helping scientists tackle complex problems in cases where buying computing time on a supercomputer is too costly or not possible for other reasons. The credits system is just a gimmick and a side effect

You wanna do proper BOINC? How about chosing a few projects you care about their problem and throwing all you can at it?

Sorry I didn't answer your question at all, but I get irritated by "credit whores". This isn't what BOINC is supposed to be...
Coleslaw
BAM!ID: 60911
Credits: 4,188,951,635
World-rank: 720

2015-02-24 21:59:07

microchip wrote:

Why are you focusing on credits? Are you one of those "credit whores"? BOINC is about helping scientists tackle complex problems in cases where buying computing time on a supercomputer is too costly or not possible for other reasons. The credits system is just a gimmick and a side effect

You wanna do proper BOINC? How about chosing a few projects you care about their problem and throwing all you can at it?

Sorry I didn't answer your question at all, but I get irritated by "credit whores". This isn't what BOINC is supposed to be...

No. BOINC is for any DC project. Not just scientists tackling complex problems. Credit whoring still brings users to help DC projects. Get your facts straight. It doesn't matter why they are. It just matters that they are.

OP, Collatz probably pays the best for AMD video cards. GPUGrid typically favors nVidia cards and pays well. I am not positive on CPU points as I haven't really looked into it for a long time. Perhaps someone else can give a positive helpful answer to that part of your question.
sio
BAM!ID: 182184
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2015-02-24 22:34:25
last modified: 2015-02-24 22:43:11

microchip: Credits are based on FLOPS, the amount of calculations my computer does. Some problems can be run efficiently on GPUs, some don't because of their non-parallel nature. I want to use my CPU and GPU cycles as efficient as possible. I won't support badly coded projects that crank out few FLOPS.

"Credit whoring" is not a perfect way of getting the most science out of my hardware, but i don't know any better way.

Credits matter - its a measure of work done.

Coleslaw: Thanks. I just started on a Collats WU now to see how efficient it works. I never heard of OP (OProject@Home or Optima@Home?) but i will read about them now and maybe try it tomorrow. Edit: None of them seems to have any work.

My impression is that i shouldn't waste CPU cycles on projects that GPUs does far better. I should save those CPU cycles for projects that cant run on GPUs.
microchip

2015-02-24 23:07:17
last modified: 2015-02-24 23:11:25

sio wrote:

microchip: Credits are based on FLOPS, the amount of calculations my computer does. Some problems can be run efficiently on GPUs, some don't because of their non-parallel nature. I want to use my CPU and GPU cycles as efficient as possible. I won't support badly coded projects that crank out few FLOPS.

"Credit whoring" is not a perfect way of getting the most science out of my hardware, but i don't know any better way.

Coleslaw: Thanks. I just started on a Collats WU now to see how efficient it works. I never heard of OP (OProject@Home or Optima@Home?) but i will read about them now and maybe try it tomorrow. Edit: None of them seems to have any work.

My impression is that i shouldn't waste CPU cycles on projects that GPUs does far better. I should save those CPU cycles for projects that cant run on GPUs.

Credits not always reflect the amount of work done or the importance of it. There were a few projects (don't recall which atm) in the past that got famous for giving insane amount of credits but their work units weren't any different from other projects, i.e. they didn't require many many hours or days to crunch them

As for many credits projects, GPUGRID is one of them but requires NVIDIA cards. They are trying to port their acemd app to ATI and they do have one working but I have no idea how well it performs or how stable it is.
microchip

2015-02-24 23:16:15
last modified: 2015-02-24 23:18:35

Coleslaw wrote:

No. BOINC is for any DC project. Not just scientists tackling complex problems. Credit whoring still brings users to help DC projects. Get your facts straight. It doesn't matter why they are. It just matters that they are.

Hello, who crawled up your ***?

BOINC was originally developed for SETI@Home, a scientific project. It was made open some time after that to support any other project, by scientists or not. Maybe you should get your facts right in the first place?

And nowhere in my post I implied that credit whoring doesn't bring crunchers to projects, mmmkay? I just don't want to reduce BOINC down to mere, useless credits

2015-02-25 01:00:54

@microchip. I am a credit whore and proud of it. I am proud of my achievements for crunching with my considerable farm of computers as many a project as I can for all projects that are running BOINC deserve our support. I am proud that those computers under my control are paid for out of my pocket including the cost of Electricity to run them. There are many different reasons people crunch BOINC and generally speaking we all get on well together.

I suggest you stop trolling for you have started a flame war. sic has asked a legitimate question. If you can not help him than why did you answer him and why did you insult him by calling him a credit whore? He is a New User that needs our support instead of rubbishing him. You do not like credit, that is your personal choice but don't ram it down others throat. Does that mean that we must all complain because YOU do not like it? What are you doing in BOINCStats Forum. Stats sites are known to compile users credit. Since you do not like credits, why are you here in the first place unless you are a deliberate troller.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...
Coleslaw

2015-02-25 20:50:18

microchip wrote:

Coleslaw wrote:

Hello, who crawled up your ***?

BOINC was originally developed for SETI@Home, a scientific project. It was made open some time after that to support any other project, by scientists or not. Maybe you should get your facts right in the first place?

And nowhere in my post I implied that credit whoring doesn't bring crunchers to projects, mmmkay? I just don't want to reduce BOINC down to mere, useless credits

I don't know. Maybe the same person that crawled up yours when you attacked the OP. And I do know where BOINC came from. I also know what it is for. I never said it wasn't designed with a specific project in mind at the beginning. I stated what it is for now. Just as you erroneously stated what it is for here in the now. You never said what is was designed for when it first launched or what the intent behind it was. However, I have yet to see where the developers ever said it was just for SETI or just for scientific research. Perhaps you would like to show your evidence on that. My statements still hold true. And I'm not a point whore.
Coleslaw

2015-02-25 20:54:51

sio wrote:

sio, please don't run OProject. It has been down for months and was poorly ran. When I say OP, I meant the typical forum abbreviation for Original Poster. Sorry for the mix up.
Pages: [1]

Index :: The Projects :: Choosing the right projects for max credits
Reason: