Pages: [1] 2 3
WyerByter

BAM!ID: 3895
Credits: 248,256,205
World-rank: 5,742

2008-01-25 20:10:40

I do have permission from the admins.

AISystems

Willie, can you get stats, and set up BAM support?

They are trying to model a brain. Supposed to have WU's out shortly. Linux app now, Win soon.

Enjoy
This signature was stolen from somewhere.

[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,520

2008-01-25 20:44:06

Willie??? a
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
Saenger

Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 5
Credits: 221,153,733
World-rank: 6,230

2008-01-25 20:46:24

Willie??? a

He used all his y's for his own name, nothing left for you
Grüße vom Sänger
[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,520

2008-01-25 20:46:53

Ow, and uhm, made the project visible. Was tracking them already.

Can't guarantee flawless interaction with BAM! since they seem to use a non standard website. Initial tests seem fine though.
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
WyerByter

BAM!ID: 3895
Credits: 248,256,205
World-rank: 5,742

2008-01-25 21:47:14

Can't guarantee flawless interaction with BAM! since they seem to use a non standard website. Initial tests seem fine though.

Willy,

Sorry! And thanks.
This signature was stolen from somewhere.

zombie67
BAM!ID: 1560
Credits: 178,109,873,201
World-rank: 45

2008-01-27 01:34:50
last modified: 2008-01-27 02:24:06

I was able to find it on the "sign-up for projects" page (which I did). But a day later, it still does not show up on the Resources page.

Edit: Never mind. I see its in the "I" section. I was expecting it in the "A" section.
Reno, NV
Team: SETI.USA
mo.v
BAM!ID: 25128
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2008-01-27 17:11:25

When the project name's written without any capitals my brain sees intelligencerealm.
PovAddict
BAM!ID: 115
Credits: 5,785,239
World-rank: 76,281

2008-01-27 17:48:13

When the project name's written without any capitals my brain sees intelligencerealm.

It means you're hungry.
Not running BOINC anymore for several reasons...
Cori

BAM!ID: 2
Credits: 69,052,230
World-rank: 13,821

2008-01-27 18:37:44

... Edit: Never mind. I see its in the "I" section. I was expecting it in the "A" section.

Yep, me too. Why not name it just AIS? Nice and short... *grin*
Greetings from Cori
Saenger

Tester - Translator

2008-04-28 18:16:36

The head guy from AIS posted this some few hours ago::
Dear Participant,

In order to prevent the abusive use of forums from people who have no credit or very little credit amounts we defined a threshold for posting. If total credit amount of a participant is not above 7000, he or she will not be able to post.

We encourage new participants to use the email address info@intelligencerealm.com for any issues or concerns.

With the increased number of users there is also an increase in abusive messages. We expect the number of these messages to reach high values when the project will reach the mainstream population.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu
I've asked him some questions about this per pm, as posting is not allowed any more, probably for himself as well

Betreff 7000 Credits? Are you kidding?
Sender Saenger User profile image Benutzer blockieren
Date 28 Apr 2008 17:00:38 UTC
Nachricht Is that for real? How should anyone get 7000 credits on a alpha project, that's probably run on most machines on a low resource share until the bugs are weeded out. You've got only 2500 Credits yourself, so you're not allowed to post any more, that's a pity.

But serious, remove some 0s, lower the target something in the area of 10 - 50, and keep the help fora open for any participant for questions to ask, anything else is imho plain arrogance or wilful negligence and a clear sign of total disrespect to your volunteer crunchers.

Seems to be a rather rude project, nothing to crunch for.
Grüße vom Sänger
TeeVeeEss
  Donator
Tester - Translator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 2648
Credits: 12,640,776,296
World-rank: 313

2008-04-28 19:38:32

Seems to be a rather rude project, nothing to crunch for.

I've PM-ed this:
Hi Ovidiu,

IMHO it's not a good thing to take such a drastic decision. You are risking to throw away the goodwill of us early adaptors, the ones which will spread the good news about this project. Please reconsider and (first?) ask help for moderating the fora.

Regards,

Joop

Let's see what reactions are coming, otherwise it's a showstopper for me too.
Saenger

Tester - Translator

2008-04-29 04:19:27

They have lowered the limit and I got an answer::
Hi Saenger,

We lowered the limit and we have got help with the moderation. We are doing this to protect ourselves. We are getting more and more weird messages, increased hacking attacks and so on so forth.

Thanks,
Ovidiu
Grüße vom Sänger

2008-04-29 15:02:20

We lowered the limit and we have got help with the moderation.

I really think they should remove the restriction and get more help with moderation.

It hasn't been the smoothest of starts to a project (the error rate was ridiculous, and there are still bugs), and to deny posting of problems for new participants guarantees that they will leave after the first failed WU.

I've always felt/believed that a project shouldn't be exporting stats, let alone be reported on stats site like this, unless they have open forums and responsive admin.

Maybe I should volunteer to be a mod ... No, I don't think so!

Al.
TeeVeeEss
  Donator
Tester - Translator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 2648
Credits: 12,640,776,296
World-rank: 313

2008-04-29 20:04:36

This is what i've got as an answer:
Hi Joop,

It is not a drastic decision. It is for our protection only. We have got increasing levels of people that have no credit or very little amounts and that are just making malicious comments on the forums. I even got a comment from a guy that is working on another Boinc project. I get all kinds of weird emails. People have very little understanding. Plus if I don't like something I study more to try to understand the other person point of view, I don't barge in someone else's space. Anyway, education will continue to be our second priority.

In regards to forum moderation I had an offer in the past from one of the participants but I didn't thought that would be an easy task so I passed it on. Moderating the forum is not the same as in the other Boinc projects. This is challenging many people's beliefs.

I will post again another message, asking for help with the forums.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu

A very polite answer I must say.
But I agree with ChertseyAl with AIS being a public project which should have open access for all participants. Maybe the help in moderating will take away Ovidius' fear of serious disruption of his dear project...
Let's wait a few weeks and see how the project develops.

Cheers, Joop

2008-04-29 21:41:12

A very polite answer I must say.
But I agree with ChertseyAl with AIS being a public project which should have open access for all participants. Maybe the help in moderating will take away Ovidius' fear of serious disruption of his dear project...
Let's wait a few weeks and see how the project develops.
Cheers, Joop

What ON EARTH does he mean by:

Moderating the forum is not the same as in the other Boinc projects. This is challenging many people's beliefs.

That has to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. Well, at least since Predictor went utterly bonkers Why does this nutter think *his* forums are *so* special, and that we're all too dim to understand why?

Methinks this project is going to learn the hard way that there are 60+ better run projects out there and it's easy to move on to something better.

Sad to say goodbye to this one, it looked genuinely interesting, but if the admin have their heads stuck up their secondary fundaments I'm afraid it's doomed to failure.

Al.
Jord
BAM!ID: 18
Credits: 22,262,191
World-rank: 30,431

2008-04-29 22:53:36

There is only a 100 credit limit on the Science forum and a 100,000 credit limit on the Announcements forum. All others can be posted in without credit or RAC requirements.

Moderating the forum is not the same as in the other Boinc projects. This is challenging many people's beliefs.

More relaxed. We'll try to teach instead of delete.
Wanky
BAM!ID: 28705

2008-04-30 01:31:29
last modified: 2008-04-30 02:25:41

The admin guy is way too paranoid about what he perceives as attacks on his science.

If he's going to run a public project, he needs to toughen up and quit being so whiny.

Edit:

OK there goes the neighborhood. He hired Jordless as a moderator. Predictator all over again.

Another project crossed off the list.

OvidiuA
BAM!ID: 51142

2008-05-03 11:13:37
last modified: 2008-05-03 11:23:37

Ovidius' fear of serious disruption of his dear project

Hi there,

Like I said in my reply: this is for our protection. When you get a couple of hundred attacks per day from users that are trying to guess the root passwords of the servers you start protecting yourself. We haven't start matching the IP addresses of the hackers with theIP addresses of the Boinc accounts because that would be a waste of time, but if that continues we will have no choice.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu
OvidiuA

2008-05-03 11:22:45
last modified: 2008-05-03 11:56:23

The admin guy is way too paranoid about what he perceives as attacks on his science.

If he's going to run a public project, he needs to toughen up and quit being so whiny.

Edit:

OK there goes the neighborhood. He hired Jordless as a moderator. Predictator all over again.

Another project crossed off the list.

Hi there,

When you get lots of messages along the same line like this one http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/wlwc/79461-rise-machines.html you start changing things.

I do not think about people in terms of tough and weak. There is no such thing. There is only the pursuit of truth. You should revise your thinking.

I am not sure where you got the impression of me being whiny. No one who works hard, 10-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week for over 20 years is whiny.

Jord was not hired. Jord likes to help other fellow Boinc-ers with their issues. That is to be commended not bashed.

I am not sure what went wrong with the Predictor@Home project.

In regards to the 7000 credits limit, that was a miscalculation. We thought that 100000 is the current credit level so 5-7% would be enough. We decided for 7%. Obviously it wasn't good and we changed that. When we started we had 40MB work units. We had no idea what other projects had. Now we know.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu
OvidiuA

2008-05-03 11:29:43

Hi there,

See the previous post about the messages that we receive. I doubt that other Boinc projects are getting that.

Why does this nutter think *his* forums are *so* special, and that we're all too dim to understand why?

I haven't said that. What I meant is that many people have little understanding about AI. Please do not take it out of context.

there are 60+ better run projects out there and it's easy to move on to something better

It is everyone's choice to support whatever project they feel more comfortable with. I respect that.

admin have their heads stuck up their secondary fundaments

Perhaps we are not doing the best of jobs in explaining our actions. We will pay more attention to that in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu

Wanky

2008-05-03 18:16:40

When you get lots of messages along the same line like this one http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/wlwc/79461-rise-machines.html you start changing things.

Are you serious? A bunch of kids on some gaming/sci-fi site? You perceive them as a personal threat or a threat to your project?

I do not think about people in terms of tough and weak. There is no such thing. There is only the pursuit of truth. You should revise your thinking.

I think a dose of real world experience is needed here.

I am not sure where you got the impression of me being whiny. No one who works hard, 10-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week for over 20 years is whiny.

So you work a lot. Does that mean you have to blather on about how people don't understand you or your science and they're all out to get you? Or complain about attacks on your site? I doubt that there is ANY public site that doesn't regularly get countless probing attacks. It's part of being on the Internet.

Jord was not hired. Jord likes to help other fellow Boinc-ers with their issues. That is to be commended not bashed.

Well, if you didn't make him a moderator, then you have bigger problems that you think. Jordless likes to run to every new project and volunteer to be a moderator. It's his personal power-trip to get as many moderator assignments as possible. Usually not so much helpful as controlling.

I am not sure what went wrong with the Predictor@Home project.

Maybe this link would help.

In regards to the 7000 credits limit, that was a miscalculation. We thought that 100000 is the current credit level so 5-7% would be enough. We decided for 7%. Obviously it wasn't good and we changed that. When we started we had 40MB work units. We had no idea what other projects had. Now we know.

Do you ever look at your own stats? There is only 1 participant with over 100000 credits.

This joker needs a giant dose of real world.
Wanky

2008-05-03 18:33:27

Hi there,

See the previous post about the messages that we receive. I doubt that other Boinc projects are getting that.

Why does this nutter think *his* forums are *so* special, and that we're all too dim to understand why?

I haven't said that. What I meant is that many people have little understanding about AI. Please do not take it out of context.

Perhaps we are not doing the best of jobs in explaining our actions. We will pay more attention to that in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ovidiu

It was your paragraph:

What do peoples beliefs have to do with moderating a BOINC forum?

Maybe you could elaborate on this in detail, so us stupid folks can understand?

2008-05-03 19:26:18

When you get a couple of hundred attacks per day from users that are trying to guess the root passwords of the servers you start protecting yourself.

You only have 1322 users. That's a pretty bad ratio - 15% of user are hackers

However, I still have no idea what this has got to do with posting to your forums. Seems to be different issues to me.

We haven't start matching the IP addresses of the hackers with theIP addresses of the Boinc accounts because that would be a waste of time, but if that continues we will have no choice.

What, you'll have no choice in wasting your time?

Attempted root logins etc are surely an 'IT' function. Firewall anyone? Forum moderation can be automated - UBBThreads does this easily. A few sentient beings helps also

I just can't help but feel that you are getting a little paranoid. Maybe you're trying to protect some future commercial interest? I don't know.

Al.
Jord
BAM!ID: 18
Credits: 22,262,191
World-rank: 30,431

2008-05-03 19:49:21

Well, if you didn't make him a moderator, then you have bigger problems that you think. Ageless likes to run to every new project and volunteer to be a moderator. It's his personal power-trip to get as many moderator assignments as possible. Usually not so much helpful as controlling.

Tsk... How would you know what my personal power-trip is? You don't even know me. All I am to you and everyone else around here is pixels on your monitor, you never even tried to get to know me, so where does that leave you with that statement?

Of all the places where I moderate, I only asked to be a moderator at BOINC Dev. The rest I was made one in thanks for other work I've done, way in the background, whereas on Cosmo I was chosen by the volunteers. I didn't even ask to be one on AIS, I only offered to help out if Ovidiu got no other replies, as I am all for new blood moderating around the BOINC community.

I don't even an account on all the 75+ projects out there.

Trying to get under my skin by flaming me is also not really going to work. I'm giving this answer here to set you straight on your conspiracy theories.
OvidiuA

2008-05-03 20:58:53

Hi there,

Nutter? Joker? Come on. There are lots of other words that you can use. You can start cursing, swearing for starters.

Maybe then I'll blink an eye.

Regards,
Ovidiu
Pages: [1] 2 3

Index :: New projects :: Artificial Intelligence System
Reason: