Pages: 1 [2]
Holly-Marie

BAM!ID: 21022
Credits: 1,538,082
World-rank: 165,097

2008-07-18 22:55:53

KAMCOBILL wrote:
This may be off topic a little. I'm signed up at Boinc wide team projects but never been signed up automatically.
I guess I'm glad that I haven't been signed up automatically then.

Maybe I got the wrong impression going here.
I signed up with BWT a few days after the site went online. Since then my team has been created automatically on about 5 out of 10 new projects I would say.

(Since I usually sign up to new projects as soon as I know they exist, I may have already been registered when they imported BWTs.)

In most cases this import worked just fine and I got an email telling me that my team has been crated on the project and the project URL.
I then went there, requested the account key, got it in my email and logged in with it, set my password, updated my user information, created my profile and connected to the project. (that is how it should work)

From a convenience point of view it would be nice if the email AND password would be imported but from a security point of view I have to agree with Saenger. Also you may want to use a unique password for each project (certainly saver) so it makes sense to not import it.

As for the profile not being imported I have two thoughts.
Part of the profile is your thoughts on the project so this part could never be imported. The personal part and picture could be imported.
However there is a reason against it and it is again to protect personal data. Your team and user may be created on a project you would not like to be associated with.

Lets say a terrorist group would create a project to crack security codes for rocket launch sites or something and would be stupid enough to say this.
Ok this may be a bit far fetched since they would just call the project some thing harmless and have us crunching for them, thinking we do some mathematics research or something.
But what about a project run by neo nazis that tries to solve some twisted idea of theirs. Would you want your real name or picture to show up on their project site? (sorry could not think of anything else on a short notice)

So all in all BWTs seem to get imported correctly if the projects use the templates right. However most researchers who have BOINC projects do not major in computer science and so their computer skills focus on their since application i would assume. If they do not have someone to handle the website and still want to try to customise it often works not too well. At least that's how things seem to but i could be wrong of course.

I hope that clears things up a bit.
Knowledge is a polite word for dead but not buried imagination.
E. E. Cummings

Give everyone the benefit of the doubt
because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.
Erin from BigCloset-Topshelf?
KAMCOBILL

BAM!ID: 121
Credits: 305,201,359
World-rank: 4,414

2008-07-25 03:23:37

KAMCOBILL wrote:
This may be off topic a little. I'm signed up at Boinc wide team projects but never been signed up automatically.
I guess I'm glad that I haven't been signed up automatically then.

Maybe I got the wrong impression going here.
I signed up with BWT a few days after the site went online. Since then my team has been created automatically on about 5 out of 10 new projects I would say.

(Since I usually sign up to new projects as soon as I know they exist, I may have already been registered when they imported BWTs.)

In most cases this import worked just fine and I got an email telling me that my team has been crated on the project and the project URL.
I then went there, requested the account key, got it in my email and logged in with it, set my password, updated my user information, created my profile and connected to the project. (that is how it should work)

From a convenience point of view it would be nice if the email AND password would be imported but from a security point of view I have to agree with Saenger. Also you may want to use a unique password for each project (certainly saver) so it makes sense to not import it.

As for the profile not being imported I have two thoughts.
Part of the profile is your thoughts on the project so this part could never be imported. The personal part and picture could be imported.
However there is a reason against it and it is again to protect personal data. Your team and user may be created on a project you would not like to be associated with.

Lets say a terrorist group would create a project to crack security codes for rocket launch sites or something and would be stupid enough to say this.
Ok this may be a bit far fetched since they would just call the project some thing harmless and have us crunching for them, thinking we do some mathematics research or something.
But what about a project run by neo nazis that tries to solve some twisted idea of theirs. Would you want your real name or picture to show up on their project site? (sorry could not think of anything else on a short notice)

So all in all BWTs seem to get imported correctly if the projects use the templates right. However most researchers who have BOINC projects do not major in computer science and so their computer skills focus on their since application i would assume. If they do not have someone to handle the website and still want to try to customise it often works not too well. At least that's how things seem to but i could be wrong of course.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

WhooHoo! My first BWT auto sign up:

AlmereGrid Boinc productie Grid Project

Hehe, but it didn't go smooth. I trird to login in with my paswword, which did not work. Then, I click on send email, which worked. Then I click link in email and it was 404 Not found. Hehe, good thing I knew a little about URLs and PHP because I edited to get the page. Then success. Changed my password and am in ok.

The Team was created and info was all there. The only thing I had to do was update my URL, country and zip.

Pretty neat i'd say.

Thanks for your help

Bill
Cori

BAM!ID: 2
Credits: 69,052,230
World-rank: 12,461

2008-07-30 21:33:15

Btw: The project has renamed itself to BCL@Home now.
Greetings from Cori
Pages: 1 [2]

Index :: New projects :: Drug Discovery through Computational Structural Biology and Chemistry
Reason: