Pages: [1]
FSMB

BAM!ID: 86787
Credits: 7,431,654
World-rank: 64,831

2011-03-23 09:50:19
last modified: 2011-03-23 09:51:00

Hey there,

after it cost me now a little time to find out, that in the latest Boinc-Versions the option to run Boinc as a service (compute even if no user is logged on) is now called "Protected application execution", I would like to know if there is a possibility to change that option on an existing installation?
I read something somewhere a long, long time ago that there were plans for further developments to make the Boinc-Client to run as a service by default, which I thought already happened when I installed the client on some computers manually in our network. So I let the box for protected execution unchecked and now I see the clients only compute if someone is logged on AND inactive.
As I plan to build a custom installer-version for our network which will include all the configs and will run in silent-mode (so I can deploy it via our opsi-Server in the whole network), I will solve this problem some day, but at the moment I don't have the time to do so.
So I'm asking if there's a quick workaround to correct my mistake so the clients produce more credits already from now on? Unfortunately I don't see an option for it in the preferences-menu of the Boinc-manager....

Thanks a lot for any help!
Johannes Blattner
Gundolf Jahn

BAM!ID: 16586
Credits: 447,470
World-rank: 321,387

2011-03-23 11:56:07
last modified: 2011-03-23 12:14:25

FSMB wrote:
Hey there,

after it cost me now a little time to find out, that in the latest Boinc-Versions the option to run Boinc as a service (compute even if no user is logged on) is now called "Protected application execution", I would like to know if there is a possibility to change that option on an existing installation.

Yes and no. ;-)
There's a possibility to change that option, but not on an existing installation. You'll have to uninstall BOINC and reinstall with the PAE option checked. Since uninstalling only removes the BOINC executables and not the data, there's no need to empty your cache before the action. Just stop BOINC completely (Advanced menu: Shut down connected client), uninstall BOINC and reinstall (the same or a newer version) with PAE checked. When you restart BOINC, it'll continue where it left off.

...and now I see the clients only compute if someone is logged on AND inactive.

The inactivity part is configurable via preferences, as you surely know. :-)

Gruß,
Gundolf
[edit]Be aware that BOINC will no longer recognise GPUs in PAE mode when running under windows vista or above.[/edit]
Computer sind nicht alles im Leben. (Kleiner Scherz)
FSMB

BAM!ID: 86787
Credits: 7,431,654
World-rank: 64,831

2011-03-23 12:51:27

Gundolf Jahn wrote:
The inactivity part is configurable via preferences, as you surely know. :-)

Gruß,
Gundolf
[edit]Be aware that BOINC will no longer recognise GPUs in PAE mode when running under windows vista or above.[/edit]

Thank you very much! The thing with Vista/7 I already knew - as well as the thing about the inactivity part. As I read my sentence again I now see that the thing turned out wrong - "user is inactive AND logged on" would make more sense - or even not.... ;-)
However - luckily I'm still running completely on good old WinXP, only 2 clients have more memory than 4GB which is why we're doing our first steps with Win7 but still don't see the necessarity to "upgrade".

Grüße Johannes Blattner
Pages: [1]

Index :: Optimized clients :: Switch to "protected application execution" on an existing installation
Reason: