Pages: [1]
Sid2

Forum moderator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 28578
Credits: 577,779,949
World-rank: 2,346

2008-06-11 12:11:35

Microsoft plans to discontinue sales of Windows XP on new computers on June 30, completing the company's transition to Windows Vista. The end of the XP era was originally planned for late 2007, but Microsoft gave its old operating system a stay of execution after listening to feedback from consumers and industry partners.

One of the main arguments against Vista is its speed compared with XP. Most PCs shipping today are built with a minimum of 1GB of memory and a graphics card capable of running all the bells and whistles offered by Vista. XP will run faster on these machines, but only because it was designed for machines running on 2001 hardware. Pentium 4, anyone?

Others argue that Vista isn't compatible with all printers and third-party accessories purchased in the past decade. Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade your antiquated hardware with the latest offerings.

If you're still using a peripheral that doesn't connect via USB, it's time to send it to the recycling center.

Vista is the future; time to just let XP go

Sid2

2008-07-30 16:35:39

Microsoft, with its marketing tactic called The Mojave Experiment, is trying to put the blame for Vista's bad rap on a market that just doesn't understand the operating system.

In a takeoff of the blind taste tests from the '80s, Microsoft videotapes a bunch of people -- seemingly from off the street -- and lets them view a PC operating system thinking its named Mojave. When they rave about it, the Microsoft folks tell them it's actually vista. Surprise!

The point Microsoft is trying to make is that the more you know about Vista, the more you will like it.

The reality is that it's not about the market getting a better understanding of Vista. The reality is the market just needs a lot more RAM to make it work well. The market's experiences with Vista, for the most part, have been on dual-core PCs running one or two GB of RAM. That's like driving a performance vehicle on a bumpy dirt road. Uphill. In the rain. In reverse.

More. . .

2008-07-30 17:41:29

[size=18]Microsoft, with its marketing tactic called The Mojave Experiment, is trying to put the blame for Vista's bad rap on a market that just doesn't understand the operating system.

that reminds me of something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEvPZUdAVI

frank.
(Ryle)
    Donator
BAM!ID: 23282
Credits: 1,740,256,003
World-rank: 1,047

2008-08-16 12:36:09
last modified: 2008-08-16 12:46:41

While I dont fully trust the independence of those people interviewed,
there is some truth to it.
Many say Vista sucks, many say its good.

So who to trust really? None other than yourself.
I have considered getting 64-bit vista, only so i can break the 2-4GB
ram barrier. Then I can also judge for myself, if it is good or bad.

But franks video there, also has a certain ring to it:
"No PC should be without it" they sing over and over.
Yes, it is the true slogan of Microsoft. Take over the market, which
they basically did, for pc's during the 90'ies, and still have.

Linux is becoming more and more easy to install and configure now,
but people are used to windows, so it's hard to change. Games probably
also keep people bound to windows, since so many pc's at home, are
used for games too.

The funny thing is, they said exactly the same about windows XP, in 2001,
that they are saying about Vista today. People will gladly upgrade their
hardware for their games, but for the OS itself?

Edit: (Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread)
Sid2

2008-08-16 13:16:55

Edit: (Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread)

Don't be, Vista discussions will continue to be as prevalent as talking about the weather.

I have been running a computer with Vista Home Premium for about 18 months now and I have been generally happy with it. I can see where Vista users would not be happy campers running Vista Basic, or trying to run Vista on a weak computer.

I believe that many of the problems with Vista have been addressed with SP1.

Pages: [1]

Index :: Interesting things on the web. :: Vista is the future; just let XP go
Reason: