Pages: [1]

2006-05-15 08:33:48
last modified: 2006-05-15 08:34:39

Hi Willy,

Your BAM system has a problem.

Overnight, BAM has forced some of my PC's to re-join SETI @home which is against my wishes and against my preferences.

PC "office" (BAM Host-ID 166) contacted BAM at 00:01:46 BST and a SETI download was forced upon it. PC "ipaq" (BAM Host-ID 167) contacted BAM at 01:00:55 BST and a SETI download was forced upon it. PC "nt4server" (BAM Host-ID 169) contacted BAM at 02:19:41 BST and a SETI download was forced upon it.

You also show me as "detaching" from BBC CCE on these same three PC's....! These PC's are actually incapabale of running BBCCCE, so I would never have attached these to start with !

This is NOT acceptable.

I understand that your system is in BETA, hence why I am not too displeased as I understand "these things" can happen.

But it's not what I expected.

Please fix it or take BAM offline immediately until it is fixed.

with best regards,

Tim
UK BOINC Team Founder
UBT - Halifax--lad

BAM!ID: 25
Credits: 49,272
World-rank: 915,669

2006-05-15 09:55:54
last modified: 2006-05-15 10:00:27

Im sorry Tim but why should Willy take BAM offline there are plenty of us out there that love it and it works fine with us, if you don't like it detach from BAM until you want to come back around to using it.

BAM has had alot of testing already before it was releasesd to a wider audience and it has managed to work fine on our BOINC setup.

You will just have to live with any teething problems for now, its new so expect it to have errors and bugs thrown in there
Join us in Chat (see the forum) Click the Sig

2006-05-15 10:25:10

Im sorry Tim but why should Willy take BAM offline ....You will just have to live with any teething problems for now, its new so expect it to have errors and bugs thrown in there

David,

It's simple really - I accept it is in BETA so I know that teething problems *WILL* occur.

But if something so fundamental has caused BAM to take control on my PC's and to "instruct" them to do something that I did not want to happen, then I'm sorry, but until the reason for this can be found and explained, then it should be taken offline, as it has the potential to damage people's PC's and their crunching ability.

This is what a responsible person would do...! Especially if there many other users who it *might* affect.

Computers and their users must be accountable for these types of issues. And if things are allowed to carry on when problems occur, then until explanation is given, then the "owners" of these systems must find out why and report back to their members as a matter of urgency.

S'pose BAM was a banking system allowing you to control all your credit cards from one interface. And s'pose overnight it took control and debited your accounts....? Would YOU want such a system to carry on?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax--lad

2006-05-15 10:38:18

Dettach from BAM its a simple answer there are plenty enough people using it with no problems at all.

Willy will get around to looking it to it, until then I would detach and not use the service
[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,518

2006-05-15 11:44:52

Deleting all your hosts and settings doesn't actually help with debugging this.

Anybody else experienced a similar problem?
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
UBT - Halifax--lad

2006-05-15 11:51:35

No problems here works as it should

2006-05-15 15:51:25

Deleting all your hosts and settings doesn't actually help with debugging this.

Anybody else experienced a similar problem?

Hi Willy,

As per your email of 09:39 this morning:

You are not forced to use BAM, so disconnect if it does not do what you want it to do.

So, all I did was follow your advice and disconnect, as I did not want to continue to be "attached" *if* BAM was *possibly* going to be "walking" all over my PC "farm" and making *perhaps* "unauthorised" changes to my preferences.

I did allow at least an hour between my first report and my "detaching" in order to provide time for this to be looked at.

But surely you must have the logs from at least 8 hours before when (I think) BAM started making these changes and installed SETI on these PC's. (Note: No-one else has access to these PC's so no one could have made these changes "at my end" ).

regards,

Tim

PS If you want me to re-attach ONE PC, I will do so happily. But I do not wish to attach any more until this can be resolved.
[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,518

2006-05-15 16:00:42
last modified: 2006-05-15 16:01:11

Hi Willy,

As per your email of 09:39 this morning:
So, all I did was follow your advice and disconnect, as I did not want to continue to be "attached" *if* BAM was *possibly* going to be "walking" all over my PC "farm" and making *perhaps* "unauthorised" changes to my preferences.

I did allow at least an hour between my first report and my "detaching" in order to provide time for this to be looked at.

Some of us have to work in real life I also told you to disconnect. That does not mean clear out everything in your account.

But surely you must have the logs from at least 8 hours before when (I think) BAM started making these changes and installed SETI on these PC's.

I do keep some logs. But not everything is logged, especialy user-actions are not logged.

PS If you want me to re-attach ONE PC, I will do so happily. But I do not wish to attach any more until this can be resolved.

For all I know you could just as well made a wrong setting somewhere (like default attach).

I also think you are making a big fuss about something that didn't hurt anyone, and only caused your system to load SETI (which can be easily made undone). A simple 'this happened, could yould you look into it', without all the drama would have been much better.

Attaching a host again probably will work out just fine (as it did for everyone else). The settings that caused this anomily are most probably gone now.
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
Spydermb

BAM!ID: 44
Credits: 36,217,347
World-rank: 21,512

2006-05-20 16:11:36
last modified: 2006-05-22 22:42:54

BBC Climate Change project shows up as attached to my all my pcs once I first sign into BAM, but when i look at the pc's they are not attached, which is good, So i uncheck the project, it will then show up as detaching, but detaching never goes away. I confirm that this project isnt on my default as to attached. Is there something else i need to do so that BBC Climate Change doesnt try to attach. My BAM id is 44.\\\

moved to own topic.
Join BOINC Synergy
Michrone

BAM!ID: 432
Credits: 102,245
World-rank: 671,787

2006-05-22 19:45:02

S'pose BAM was a banking system allowing you to control all your credit cards from one interface. And s'pose overnight it took control and debited your accounts....? Would YOU want such a system to carry on?

Can you give me the name of one bank in the world who make public beta test ???

And I don't think that Willy have the money to pay a "tester team". Your bank does.

And did you pay something to Willy to use his BAM ??? You certainly pay a lot to your bank to use the wonderfull "one interface credit card system".

Comparing BAM and a banking system sounds very strange to me...

Fianlly, thanks Willy, you maybe found Extra-terrestre intelligence :-)
Pages: [1]

Index :: BAM! Bug Report :: Bam Has Allocated Some Of My Pc To A Project
Reason: