Pages: [1]
Zydor
    Donator
Tester
BAM!ID: 65177
Credits: 2,139,882,904
World-rank: 914

2010-09-25 12:43:13

I would like to change the email address attached to my Projects and BAM. Will a change in the BAM Account screen be reflected down to Projects without me intervening, or do I need to get round the Projects and change the email myself at each Project Account at the same time?

I am aware that the email address is a key part of the whole BOINC structure, so I am being a little cautious and getting my facts straight before I do the change, anything I need to be careful about so I dont cause confusion?

Regards
Zy
magyarficko

BAM!ID: 76666
Credits: 287,367,952
World-rank: 3,976

2010-09-25 15:09:13
last modified: 2010-09-25 15:10:23

Theoretically it does work ... but I would caution you strongly. Some of the projects (especially those running older versions of BOINC server software) won't pick up the change ... but you can change those manually with no problem. Also expect problems (although you're not running it -- but for others considering the same thing) at World Community Grid which never seems to play nice with BAM.

However! Have a look at my 60 day charts to see my experience when I tried the same thing not long ago. Because you have a retired project (Anansi) you won't be able to change the e-mail address there. For me this created a split-CPID situation that I was unable to resolve. Anansi kept my old CPID and ALL the other projects assigned a new CPID for me. I was unable to resolve this by using the Sync Retired Projects function at BAM (your mileage may vary) and so I had two detailed stats pages - one for Anansi and a new one showing all the other projects with correct credits BUT WITH NO PAST HISTORY showing. It was like starting from scratch. And when I logged in and clicked on "My Detailed Stats" the link took me to my old page with only Anansi showing on it. I had to manually find my new page for stats and bookmark it so I was able to get to it.

The only way I was able to bring the two stats pages back together again was to change my e-mail address back again to what it originally was -- the gap in my 60 day charts is the result.

Good Luck!

Zydor
    Donator
Tester
BAM!ID: 65177
Credits: 2,139,882,904
World-rank: 914

2010-09-25 16:48:49

Thanks for that - hmmmm - methinks I need to step back a little and think about this some more. I'm all for the quiet life with non-critical activities .......

Thanks for the assist - much appreciated

Regards
Zy

noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 173,755,164
World-rank: 5,672

2010-09-27 02:59:16

The only project I had difficulties with was WCG, where I had to change my email address manually. For all the other projects, including retired ones, I had absolutely no problems. It will take a day or two for everything to sort out; it won't happen immediately. BUT: The "Sync retired projects" function only works if you were attached to that project with BAM when it was marked as "retired" by Willy. Since the stats do not export email address, there's no other information to make sure that you're really who you say you are--so as not to "steal" a user's credit for a retired project by claiming you are him. I think you may also be able to sync if your CPID is somehow still the same across projects, but don't quote me on that part.
magyarficko

BAM!ID: 76666
Credits: 287,367,952
World-rank: 3,976

2010-09-27 03:29:05

noderaser wrote:
The "Sync retired projects" function only works if you were attached to that project with BAM when it was marked as "retired" by Willy.

I was.

noderaser wrote:
It will take a day or two for everything to sort out; it won't happen immediately.

In my case I waited thru two Sundays (the day that supposedly some "behind the scenes voodoo magic" is worked by Willy) with no success.

As I said originally "Technically it should work - your mileage may vary", not everybody will have the same experience as me -- all I meant was, don't expect it to be a cake-walk and be prepared for the fact that your attempted changes MIGHT have to be undone.

Pages: [1]

Index :: BAM! General :: Changing Email Address in BAM Account
Reason: