Pages: [1]
ShadowMasterCM

BAM!ID: 135521
Credits: 3,929,012
World-rank: 97,318

2012-11-30 06:34:56

First I want to state that I appreciate the work and efforts that BOINCstats has done to put together a project such as this, so that the rest of us can brag and compare notes and so on. I'm do not consider myself a full blown stat nerd, but I have killed more than a few hours of my life exploring all the stats available from this site. However, looking at BAM! from the Noob/ average user perspective, I am having some serious issues getting started.

I've been looking through the forums and web site for some general instructions on how to set up the various parts of BAM! and what exactly each various part actually does. I had come across a link to the BOINCstats from another forum, and wanted to post a question to this websites forum about something, and apparently ended up signing up for a BAM! account. Being that I had no clue what an 'account manager' actually was, I really only installed BAM! to try it out and to see exactly what it does for me.

I assume that most users are not 100% stat nerds that already know exactly what every part of BAM! does...so why haven't I been able to find a basic FAQ/ tutorial explaining the in's and out's of BAM! ?? I would think something like that would be placed right on the homepage. Am I just missing an obvious link somewhere? I have to admit if I can't figure out features a program offers me, I'm not very likely to use them...and so I never fully appreciate what a program does/ doesn't do for me...and I might not continue to use it, let alone 'support' it.

What I have figured out so far:

BAM! settings are turned on ans set to connect every 4 h
Host list shows my 4 currently active devices
Group list shows the 3 recently created groups
Task list is still currently blank - still poking around with that trying to learn what exactly it does!
Work preferences I have set up one 'global' profile - but apparently it has no been activated as it is still showing 0 Hosts / 0 Groups
Team and My detailed stats connect me to my current personal / team stats as expected

So any how...the latest issue I'm struggling with is this:

When I click on 'My projects' from the My BAM! menu...it opens the default page, there are a few '1 liner' blurbs in the blue box, and below that I see a single line, for the one project I currently work on [World Community Grid]. I'm not sure at this point if I manually added that project to that page, or if over time BOINCstats tracked down my data and updated that page, due to the multiple tasks that the user needs to do, vs the daily updates do, and no clear start to finish type check list for a noob like me to follow.

So I start to tinker with the options available to me there.

• Project: This column contains the project name with a hyperlink built into it...that just takes me to the projects home page.
  • Category: This section does nothing...just says 'Umbrella project'
  • Last Attempt: has a message of 'No response from project' - ok...so what does that mean exactly? What do I need to do to fix this??
  • Resource Share: What exactly is this and what does it do? The blurb on that page says I can set it to a maximum of 10,000! OK, 10,000 what?
  • Attach new host by default: Figured out from the blurb above that I can click on this line, and the check box appears, and I selected it. Not very clear at this point exactly what that did for me. So after about an hour of reading forum posts from as far back as 2006...I get some confirmation that any new device clients that I install will be configured to run that project. I'm not quite sure I see the value of this feature, as I could just as easily select that project as I installed the client on the device couldn't I? What am I missing here...
  • Options: OK that sounds promising... option 1 - Attach all hosts AND option 2 - Detach all hosts ...now if I only knew what that meant. Honestly after reading some of the forums topics from as far back as 2006, I'm not sure if I want to risk dealing with all this 'attach / detach' nonsense. To be fair, I realize that there has likely been much work done on the program since 2006, and many of those older issue have been addressed...but again with out a basic tutorial of what this program does and how to use / set up all of it's features...I'm leery to say the least!
  • Show Hosts: OK lets click that...new page "BAM! :: Hosts per project" - I see no hosts, so I click 'Show all hosts'...still nothing. I can however see my recently created 'Groups' listed below [that process took a few hours an randomly clicking on things to see what did what as well!]. All three groups have the green check in the 'Attach' column [I assume that's a good thing]. Quite by accident, I clicked on one of the groups, and I suddenly see a 'feature' in that I can set some options, that I'm assuming will then be applied to all devices in said group. I have stumbled upon one of those '1 click does it all' features! Yeah! Still not sure exactly what all these options do exactly [ie: 'Delayed detach'], but I have found a way to change them at least. I consider this 'progress'
  • Stats: Something I recognize! The infamous lil blue/white clickable box!! I click it and it takes me to me personal stats page.

So I guess the main questions I still need answers to are this:

1. What do I need to do to 'fix' the message "No response from project" ?
  2. What exactly is a 'Resource Share' and whats the best way to set it up?
  3. Why don't I have any Hosts showing in my projects? How do I fix this??
  4. What is 'Delayed detach'? What are my options to setting this??

I really don't want to spend several more hours looking through old and out dated forum posts to set up my 'account manager' which is supposed to make my life easier and save me time...

Thanks in advance to those who can provide me some answers / links / insight!

Come check it out! Neveron: The New Era
rroonnaalldd
BAM!ID: 15220
Credits: 77,733,697
World-rank: 12,722

2012-11-30 11:42:06
last modified: 2012-11-30 11:42:35

ShadowMasterCM wrote:
So I guess the main questions I still need answers to are this:

1. What do I need to do to 'fix' the message "No response from project" ?
  2. What exactly is a 'Resource Share' and whats the best way to set it up?
  3. Why don't I have any Hosts showing in my projects? How do I fix this??
  4. What is 'Delayed detach'? What are my options to setting this??

1. "No response from project" simply means the project doesn't answer on requests. Maybe the project is down?
  2. "Ressource share" is only interesting if you are attached to more than one project. Given are Seti and Einstein and you want to share ressources between projects with 60% for Einstein and 40% for Seti. Your hosts will get work from both projects in this ratio. But the border is fluid and is dependent of the calculation time of every work unit.
  3. No hosts showing in "my projects"? Do you use BAM for all hosts?
  4. "Dealyed detach" means, working through all units from this project, report all work and detach.

ShadowMasterCM

BAM!ID: 135521
Credits: 3,929,012
World-rank: 97,318

2012-11-30 20:35:05

rroonnaalldd wrote:

1. "No response from project" simply means the project doesn't answer on requests. Maybe the project is down?
  2. "Resource share" is only interesting if you are attached to more than one project. Given are Seti and Einstein and you want to share ressources between projects with 60% for Einstein and 40% for Seti. Your hosts will get work from both projects in this ratio. But the border is fluid and is dependent of the calculation time of every work unit.
  3. No hosts showing in "my projects"? Do you use BAM for all hosts?
  4. "Dealyed detach" means, working through all units from this project, report all work and detach.

1] All 4 devices connect multiple times each day to World Community Grid, uploading/ downloading etc, so I take that as a project NOT being down...correct? BAM! has also been installed for several days worth of updates at this point, so anything that should have automatically updated I am assuming would have completed by now.
2] Thanks for the Resource explanation
3] As mentioned above...BAM! has been attached to all 4 WCG clients installed on all for active devices
4] Thanks for the Delayed detach explanation
Come check it out! Neveron: The New Era
rroonnaalldd
BAM!ID: 15220
Credits: 77,733,697
World-rank: 12,722

2012-11-30 23:47:05
last modified: 2012-11-30 23:48:02

WCG is something special. There were written many threads about all the problems with BAM or Boinc and WCG here at Boincstats and worldwide...
Some stats at Boincstats are updated only once a week at sunday. If your hosts are still not listed until monday evening and all hosts got credits granted in the week, you should open a new thread in the right forum area and read the Bug Submit Guidelines! READ BEFORE POSTING!!.

Especially number 5 in the "Guidelines" saves a lot of time: Provide an URL to the page on BOINCstats where you found the bug.

Pages: [1]

Index :: BAM! General :: My Projects/ No response from project
Reason: