Pages: [1]

2008-10-16 16:12:51

Hello,

I must be bored .... lol

I installed debian 4.0r3 and fully updated this linux flavour on a 10GB ide hdd just to see it in action.

I opened up the terminal:
typed in:

apt-get update
apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

Great....Result !

Click on:
Applications->Accessories->Boinc Manager

Attached to SETI and got 4 WU's crunching away... Brilliant !

Now Here's where i'd like to know & understand a little more...
(1)Boinc Manager : 5.4.11 <----------I thought this can't be the newest version surely ?

Debbian->Apps->System->Synaptic Package Manager
Scrolling down to find the installed boinc version and to see if there is an updated latest version i was surprised to see that there wasnt an newer version availiable - however on the seti@home boinc download page there is version 6.2.15 availiable.

I downloaded this and i just cant get any further ... Now my linux lack of knowledge is showing

Can somone shed a little light on the following please:
The machine/Boat Anchor I'm Running DEBIAN/ETCH 4.0r3 Fully Updated on a Compaq Quad Xeon 2.8GHz
Debian is the only OS Installed it isn't dual booting with anything else.

(1) Boinc Version 5.4.11 - is this the right version or can i or should i upgrade to the 6.2.15 as advesrtised on seti website ?
(2) Any Advantages or Disadvantages to boincing with debian?
(3) yoyo @home won't run on 5.4.11 it's telling me to upgrade - What do i do?
- obviously i should if i want to run a little yoyo - but i can't ........... help !

Kindest Regards,

John <--Proud SOFA member

johnt
BAM!ID: 60296
Credits: 32,207
World-rank: 1,082,951

2008-10-17 04:52:50

I am the opposite - new to BOINC but familiar with Debian and only downloaded boinc client and manager yesterday. I immediately followed the link to upgrade the manager to the latest version and it all just happened - no interaction required as I recall. Hey, it was 24 hours ago

Debian stable distribution runs quite a way behind current releases of most packages. I actually run the testing distribution but I suspect you won't have any problems either.

John

Hello,

I must be bored .... lol

I installed debian 4.0r3 and fully updated this linux flavour on a 10GB ide hdd just to see it in action.

I opened up the terminal:
typed in:

apt-get update
apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

Great....Result !

Click on:
Applications->Accessories->Boinc Manager

Attached to SETI and got 4 WU's crunching away... Brilliant !

Now Here's where i'd like to know & understand a little more...
(1)Boinc Manager : 5.4.11 <----------I thought this can't be the newest version surely ?

Debbian->Apps->System->Synaptic Package Manager
Scrolling down to find the installed boinc version and to see if there is an updated latest version i was surprised to see that there wasnt an newer version availiable - however on the seti@home boinc download page there is version 6.2.15 availiable.

I downloaded this and i just cant get any further ... Now my linux lack of knowledge is showing

Can somone shed a little light on the following please:
The machine/Boat Anchor I'm Running DEBIAN/ETCH 4.0r3 Fully Updated on a Compaq Quad Xeon 2.8GHz
Debian is the only OS Installed it isn't dual booting with anything else.

(1) Boinc Version 5.4.11 - is this the right version or can i or should i upgrade to the 6.2.15 as advesrtised on seti website ?
(2) Any Advantages or Disadvantages to boincing with debian?
(3) yoyo @home won't run on 5.4.11 it's telling me to upgrade - What do i do?
- obviously i should if i want to run a little yoyo - but i can't ........... help !

Kindest Regards,

2008-10-17 08:33:54

Hello
I immediately followed the link to upgrade the manager to the latest version and it all just happened

Are you saying that you upgraded from :
5.4.11 -> 6.2.15 ?

Could you send me the link that you used please ?
Any other links to further my debian knowledge.

I was originally going to use the 8.04 hardy heron but i d/loaded 64bit and it won't obviously work on a 32bit platform.
And as i allready had Debian 4.0r3 i used that instead can this be upgraded easily to the new stable version of r4 ?

Kindest Regards,

2008-10-17 08:34:39
last modified: 2008-10-17 08:45:31

With Halloween just around the corner:

2008-10-18 06:27:53

Hello,
I decided in the end to download the correct 32 bit version of hardy heron 8.04 and all of its 149 updates and install that.

Wow .....When my system restarted after the full install & updates applied - The moment of truth.....

How beautifully it is "The Linux Hardy Heron 8.04 Desktop - Graphical Sexiness"

I can't wait untill the 30th October For the Full & New Release: "Intrepid Ibex" is the code name for Ubuntu 8.10
At the moment you can get if you cant quite wait for the full / final Release from:
October 2nd, 2008 - Beta release
October 23rd, 2008 - Release Candidate
October 30th, 2008 - Final release of Ubuntu 8.10

I have Boinc Manager 5.10.45 installed via the Synaptic Package Manager and running 4x seti wu's

Kind Regards,

John
Pages: [1]

Index :: Chatter :: DEBIAN 4.0r3
Reason: