Pages: [1]
Mad Matt

BAM!ID: 4002
Credits: 2,923,998,850
World-rank: 926

2010-08-20 11:41:28
last modified: 2010-08-20 11:58:30

Our plan was to finish SETI with our final run to one million team points and move on to other goals and projects, but now things have come a little bit different.

By reaching the team million we made a big additional contribution and made a tribute to SETI for being a legendary project, for promoting the idea of distributed computing in early years and last not least, for creating BOINC as a platform for other projects. Also, once more, thank you to all the teams who took part in our 'Final SETI Run' on BOINCstats. Also kudos to Tigher. He managed to do about 40% of this work - back in 2005!

A few weeks after our SETI run we learned to now the great guys from Team Musketeer's, asking for some help to bolster our really slim crew on GPUGRID. But after we just had so much fun with these guys, the complete core team of Picard's Charge decided to join them and make the fun last a little bit longer.

In the end, they had to help us finally to overcome the gigantic pending queue at SETI to see the finish line. In a last push we collected about 50.000 pending credits on a day - just to make the final 20.000 points. This left me quite frustrated and wondering how in heaven's name it is possible to run a project like that in 2010. Finally I decided to write a letter to Mr. Anderson. Probably he already has thousands of this kind, but maybe it will take another thousand to change things. So, as final and for your amusement, here it is.

Thank you for all the friendly support we received lately. We are not gone, we are just riding with the Musketeers...

Dear Mr. Anderson,

I am sorry for aborting about 1000 tasks after SETI just had learned how to feed my GTX 295. Picard's Charge just passed the million credit mark on your project to say thank you and good bye. We would not have contributed that much under any other circumstances and to be honest, you didn't make it easier for us.

It is surprising to see after all those years this project did not make the slightest progress in becoming more user friendly, in setting up stable servers and in creating gigantic validation queues.

Thank you also for giving us BOINC. Without any irony, it is a brilliant achievement. But it could only have come worse if Bill Gates did it himself. So thank you and good bye, I hope that I will never ever have to crunch again for SETI unless it turns into a distributed computing project.

Yours respectfully - or maybe I should say: So long, and thanks for all the fish

Mad Matt
(former) founder of Picard's Charge

shiva

BAM!ID: 717
Credits: 70,377,377,040
World-rank: 99

2010-08-20 15:02:04

hey cool , Matt glad to have you and the rest of your people over at Team Musketeers!!
Musketeer 2
Mad Matt

BAM!ID: 4002
Credits: 2,923,998,850
World-rank: 926

2010-08-22 08:51:16

Maybe I should add that anyone is welcome to crunch for us, and even more so to crunch for Team Musketeer's. However, if I see folks joining and asking to transfer foundership based on zero credits, you will find yourself out of the team faster than you can say 'dropped'. And I do not consider this as 'friendly support' either.

Just be warned if you are looking to hijack a team, it won't work with us. If you want to support long-term, we can talk about things.
Christopher Herr [TeaM]

BAM!ID: 84687
Credits: 22,992,340,708
World-rank: 218

2010-08-22 09:32:38

Mad Matt wrote:
Maybe I should add that anyone is welcome to crunch for us, and even more so to crunch for Team Musketeer's. However, if I see folks joining and asking to transfer foundership based on zero credits, you will find yourself out of the team faster than you can say 'dropped'. And I do not consider this as 'friendly support' either.

Just be warned if you are looking to hijack a team, it won't work with us. If you want to support long-term, we can talk about things.

Yeah, guys, listen to Mad Matt! That goes a lot faster than Picard can say 'Battlestations' or a Musketeer can say 'engarde'! We're the friendly type but not the stupid type! But y'all know, stupid is as stupid does.

There is no middleground here. Come charging alongside Picard's Charge or better alongside the Musketeers, but don't try to take the foundership of a guy, who has invested months in this team! That's not how it's done! Join one of the teams, come by the corresponding board, say hello and we're all happy to have you with us! But as you can imagine, the worst way to start with a team, is messing with its founder.

Looking forward to some new teammates! Cheers!
CH
%3Aelol%3A%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A%C2%B6%C2%B6stats.free-dc.org%C2%B6cpidtagb.php%3Fcpid%3D085f5768788374e10f20080cb4734a73%26theme%3D15%26cols%3D3%5B%C2%B6img%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A%C2%B6%C2%B6stats.free-dc.org%C2%B6mosttag.php%3Fcpid%3D085f5768788374e10f20080cb473
Pages: [1]

Index :: Chatter :: Picard's Charge Final Run: Thanks and bye
Reason: