Pages: [1]
Jazzop
BAM!ID: 15153
Credits: 36,846,585
World-rank: 21,250

2011-10-25 22:00:34

I have tried to gain an understanding of the CPID process by reading a bunch of the threads in this subforum, but I have failed. Specifically, what is the relationship between a CPID, a BAM ID, a host machine, and OS user accounts on that machine (I don't think the last item in the list is relevant, but just in case I'm wrong...)?

The "problem": I run BOINC on 5 different machines, all under the same BOINC user account, and all managed under the same BAM account. 4 of those 5 machines are showing up on my BAM host list under multiple entries with different BAM IDs and CPIDs. One in particular (coincidentally, the only laptop of the bunch) has 7 different BAM/CPIDs, several of which have recent "last contact" dates.

All of my project accounts have been under the same email address for years. All my machines are attached to all my projects.

1. Is this phenomenon affecting how my credits are recorded?
2. Is there some way I can tidy up my host list so that I get one entry per machine? (I'm a lumper, not a splitter)

Cheers.
wertperch

Tester
BAM!ID: 86245
Credits: 1,342,967
World-rank: 180,101

2011-10-27 17:30:58

Easy. CPID and BAM ID are based on several elements, including but not limited to the IP address of the machine, sunspot activity and the phases of the moon. Laptops, being the itinerant beats they are, move about, changing IP addresses, changing timezones and being affected by local tides.

Best thing to do with laptops is to wrap them in Faraday cages to reduce some outside influences, and keep them in the same location forever.

Sooner or later, everything works out, as the universal Tao/Chao settles down on them, reverting your overall credits to something approaching normalityâ„¢.

Seriously, I believe it's down to IP addresses .

Jazzop wrote:
I have tried to gain an understanding of the CPID process by reading a bunch of the threads in this subforum, but I have failed. Specifically, what is the relationship between a CPID, a BAM ID, a host machine, and OS user accounts on that machine (I don't think the last item in the list is relevant, but just in case I'm wrong...)?

The "problem": I run BOINC on 5 different machines, all under the same BOINC user account, and all managed under the same BAM account. 4 of those 5 machines are showing up on my BAM host list under multiple entries with different BAM IDs and CPIDs. One in particular (coincidentally, the only laptop of the bunch) has 7 different BAM/CPIDs, several of which have recent "last contact" dates.

All of my project accounts have been under the same email address for years. All my machines are attached to all my projects.

1. Is this phenomenon affecting how my credits are recorded?
2. Is there some way I can tidy up my host list so that I get one entry per machine? (I'm a lumper, not a splitter)

Cheers.

I also shoot cancer with a 686 Magnum
Friedrich S.
  Donator
BAM!ID: 14296
Credits: 64,978,180
World-rank: 14,413

2012-06-07 19:09:04
last modified: 2012-06-07 19:09:21

I agree. Somehow the IP address is part of the process to create the CPID.
Whenever the IP address of any of my hosts changes, this unevitably will cause a split in the host stats. Only once every single project on that host has finished a WU under the new IP address, the split will go and the host will have all its credits re-unified under the latest CPID.
Last week I had to move around some furniture and rewired my network, which lead to new IP addresses for most of my hosts. Now my host list shows 37 hosts. I wish I had that many (and the money to have them run BOINC)!

I hope that someday someone from the BOINC programmers will decide to fix that feture/bug.
Obviously the people in that team have fixed IP addresses only, or they don't use the stats pages, otherwise this would have been fixed a long time ago.

Cheer

Friedrich

WezH
BAM!ID: 25340
Credits: 1,337,705,833
World-rank: 1,693

2012-10-02 15:29:16

I do have same problem but I don't think that IP address is part of host CPID because currently two of my hosts has duplicate entries and those hosts have static IP, it hasn't changed for years now.

When I look out "Project list" it is same thing in both computers. Another "duplicate" shows Seti@home and Seti@homeBeta projects, second "duplicate" shows rest of the projects (Primegrid, Milkyway etc)

Could it be problem with Seti/SetiBeta host CPID?
WezH
BAM!ID: 25340
Credits: 1,337,705,833
World-rank: 1,693

2012-10-17 15:39:18

I did some test and yes, Host CPID changes every time when You exit Boinc Manager and Stop running tasks.

This could be reason why BAM host stats have duplicate hosts.
Pages: [1]

Index :: CPID problems :: Why does host list have multiple entries for same physical machine?
Reason: