Pages: [1]
Cruncher Pete

BAM!ID: 34996
Credits: 651,866,337,968
World-rank: 9

2016-05-19 00:26:05
last modified: 2016-05-19 01:13:47

From the begining, I wish to state that I am grateful and in deed congratulate Willy the Admin of this site for providing statistics to us for many years. Willy has a life like most of us, works to support his family in Real Life, yet unselfishly spends most of his spare time and money to maintain the site at his own expense. Willy has never asked for donations, never threatened that he will be forced to close the site like MilkyWay did unless we pay his wages. It was us users who donated to him either directly or lately via Bitcoin United. My apologies for being long winded but that is just me and my way of expressing my thoughts. So please bear with me.

When the SETI Project started it was clear that we all crunched a "PROJECT" that was dealing with "Search For Extra Terrestrial Intelligence". Following that start, BOINC has evolved and many "Projects" followed in suit. The problem from my perspective is that the meaning of "Project" and in deed "Host" losts its meaning and stats have not kept up with the change. When a New Comer looks for an available project in the Official BOINC Site or in this stat site he will not find any cancer projects, any attempt to solve the mystery of the Zika virus, (which happens to be the latest "Project" in WCG.) Let me explain:

A few days ago I had a visit to my "Man Cave" from my next door neighbor. He was curious about my "Computer Farm" and I explained to him the pricipals of BOINC and gave him the URL for BOINC as well as this stats site for him to research it at his own time. He came back later and stated: "I give up, for I did not find a project that clearly dealt with cancer . I have donated for years to the Cancer fund annually as my GrandMother died from it. I just don't have time or interest in any other questionable projects.". Whilst, hopefully I put him, on the right track, I realised that what we oldies understood the meaning of a project differently from a new Comer. Clearly, what we show in this stats site as a project has different meanings. Just one example. Look at: "World Computer Grid" WCG. We accept that this is a "Project", yet in truth it is a grid hosting a number of "Projects". The latest New project is: Open Zika, a virus that is spreading in the world. Yet if you were a serious person that is very interested in this project you would never know that this is a new project hosted by WCG for it is not mentioned in stats or in deed anywhere else in the BOINC Circle unless you read the WCG Site. I submit, we are loosing a lot of potential supporters of this project because it is not listed as a "Project" or in deed a New Project in the open BOINC Circle unless you are just a WCG supporter, potentially loosing a lot of supporters of BOINC and its ideas.

I have no idea wheather this is programmatically feasable or not, but I wish we look at it, discuss it and see if we could end up showing in results my and other's achievement in any active "Project" rather than seeing what our standings is any "project Host". If we could produce stats that way, we couuld indeed see that there is a new project started and that would pacify "Credit Whores". Milestone Hunters, Badge chaser for we are all competitive and it is good fun.. In the end the project wins for someone would be attracted to what they are doing or because it is new and you want to get involved and at least get an early badge. In deed like as is currently happening, WuProp is the only project as we call it that give users an indication by announcing that a particular Project has started a New project and is active. I wonder how many people were aware of that.

In conclusion, I am just thinking that if we could see "New Projects" that have started, a Newcomer could have an immediately available choice to choose from for whatever their reason for doing so. I have no idea how WuProp can do this as I am not a programmer but surely, it is a part of the method stat sites that scan and collect information. I am perhaps just wishing that I could see all available "Projects" as opposed to all available "Project Hosts" as I call it. Terminology can be confusing like in this instance. We are referring to a "Project", yet in truth we are only referring to a "Host" that is running a number of Projects. Even the word "Host" could be misunderstood here for the stats sites refer to a Host as the computer you are crunching a particular project.

Just a food for thought. Keep on cunching and have a nice day...
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 165,608,102
World-rank: 5,121

2016-05-21 03:41:22

I'm pretty sure you are describing "subprojects", but it probably depends on the master or "umbrella" project, as to whether stats for individual apps/causes are easily obtained from the export files. I know WCG packages it well for use on their own webpages, but other projects may not.

Other projects that do work with cancer (although not always directly) include Rosetta, GPUgrid, POEM, RNAworld, and possibly other umbrella projects such as YoYo and IBERCIVIS (if they're still running) that have rotating work bases. If you want to include non-BOINC projects, there's also Folding@Home.
Cruncher Pete

BAM!ID: 34996
Credits: 651,866,337,968
World-rank: 9

2016-05-21 21:46:55

Yes, I am thinking of SubProjects but I have no idea if those could be tracked and reported programmatically. It is just a wish list really for it would be nice to see a list of all Subprojects showing the Project that hosts it. That way we could have a system of easy identification of what choices we have. The example of "Cancer" was purely an umbrella example for that was thre reason I joined BOINC.
Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: What would you like to see reported in a stats site?
Reason: