Pages: [1]
[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 348,241,820
World-rank: 2,977

2004-10-21 12:08:30

In reply to the shoutbox discussion on the update schedule, here are my thoughts:

BOINCstats updates the positions and total-credit once a day. In the beginning, I tried to update the site just after SETI exported their stats (they do that once a day). This was (for me) somewhere during the night. When things went wrong (and they did, read my news post on the hassle I had with the previous server) I had to fix this between standing up and going to work: not nice. I finally settled for 17:30GMT. This is about the time I should get home from work. If anything went wrong, I could fix it, and not worry about a few minutes time.

Then some other projects went live. The projects don’t synchronize their XML export times: all over the day, there are new files.

This is when I introduced the ‘current credit’. This is the credit based on the last XML export, and is updated on the site within an hour after the XML file is exported. How’s that for fast?

About the ‘you don’t have a time since last update indicator’: that’s right, and if you need it, make a suggestion in the forum and I’ll look into it. When I like an idea and/or think it’s useful, I make it, and use it on the site. As a matter of fact: I already did it with the BOINCstats once a day update. I’ll include a per project indicator later this week.

Setisynergy is a good stat site, but they take a somewhat different approach. This may have something to do with the fact that Zain and I are not the same person. What I find a bit disappointing is that you (pissedoff and some others) are very good in saying what’s missing on BOINCstats (without making a suggestion in the forum where I created a place for this) but you fail to notice that BOINCstats has several things that are not on Setisynergy (did somebody say ‘BOINC combined stats’?). I checked the shoutbox on Setisynergy, it’s not there.

As I have to go to work, I have to stop here, I’ll comment on this some more later.

2004-10-21 13:28:57

willy, i am the person, pissedoff, i'd just like to say thanks for explaining the late updates business.
As for "<span style='colorrange'>About the ‘you don’t have a time since last update indicator’: that’s right, and if you need it, make a suggestion in the forum and I’ll look into it. When I like an idea and/or think it’s useful, I make it, and use it on the site</span> "
i believe i wrote that synergy has the time since update on their site, perhaps boincstats could include this?.
And about the "<span style='colorrange'>What I find a bit disappointing is that you (pissedoff and some others) are very good in saying what’s missing on BOINCstats (without making a suggestion in the forum where I created a place for this) but you fail to notice that BOINCstats has several things that are not on Setisynergy (did somebody say ‘BOINC combined stats’?). I checked the shoutbox on Setisynergy, it’s not there</span>."
I wouldn't know becuase as I stated about 4 times was the fact that I like boincstats better. If i use setisynergy it is only to check my rank as they update sooner, so I dont use any of their extra features that may or may not be also on boincstats, except when I look to see how many hrs ago it was updated. I dont know a thing about the XML stuff so I cant just update like that or whatever jaroyse was talking about.
Like I said I never meant to offend anyone, I was annoyed at the slow updates (which now I know why they are a bit slower, I dont blame you Willy for not wanting to do it in the middle of the night) and I did not just say the time since update was missing, I said that I found it helpful and perhaps boincstats could use it too. It was a suggestion not a demand to clone setisynergy. Like I said numerous times I think Boincstats is a great site and I would prefer to use them over synergy, although ppl like jaroyse might make others with problems/suggestions think twice about posting them.

2004-10-21 14:01:04

Mr. de Zutter:

If it is possible, would you be able to place the Shout-Box posts in this thread?

To: Angel82:

I found your very first post highly insulting and confrontational. I do not believe it could remotely be considered suggestive, only aggressive. If someone else posts like you did, my suggestion will remain the same - go and whine elsewhere such as in Seti where you can join the many such posts that already exist.

If this was not your intent, then change your style of posting.

-H. Richard Utzig

2004-10-21 17:19:42

First, thank you Willy for this forum. When I started reading shouts, I wondered how they could get so long. Now I know.

Angel82: If I recall the first post I responded to correctly, you used the word sux. You went on to say how much better SETIsynergy was. The main reason SETsynergy was so much better was that they update several hours earlier. Those two things together sound like a general complaint, not a suggestion. This site doesn't suck. If it does, why come back?

The original SETI is still running - I'm still in the upper 1% there and post new units whenever I fall off the weekly stat update. (That's two units in the last 8 weeks.) Those stats are real-time and update as soon as new units are posted. The weekly stats update once a week. This site cannot update real-time. It's not run by SETI.

I've heard complaints like yours before. In fact, that's the only time I've used the shoutbox. I said something very close to what I said to you.

If you like another site better, fine. Go there instead.

Since part of my job involves programming, I respect the amount of work that goes into this site. I wouldn't want my work described using 'sux'.

2004-10-21 20:58:29

Well dont worry I wont be posting anything from now on, suggestions, complaints or otherwise. I apologised for offending anyone, so I do not know what more to say. I will still use the site, as I stated numerous times I do like boincstats, particularly the layout and ease of use.
I apologise again for any offense taken, you wont be hearing from me again. :cry:

2004-10-21 21:03:25

P.S thankyou Willy for putting the hours since update on the site. I really do appreciate it and Im sure others will too.
[BOINCstats] Willy

2004-10-22 12:06:34

Well dont worry I wont be posting anything from now on, suggestions, complaints or otherwise.

I hope you WILL post in the future, I appreciate any (documented) suggestion, complaint, bug or whatever.

I'm going to monitor the differences between BOINCstats and Setisynergy for a few days, and see if I can make some improvements.

I already saw differences in positions/credit. Current credit on BOINCstats is equal to Credit on Setisynergy, but 'normal' Credit is updated later.

More on this in the weekend!
[BOINCstats] Willy

2004-10-23 05:43:04

I spend a few hours processing coffee and code this evening, and BOINCstats now updates the credits and ranks every hour for all stats.

I ran out of coffee about a hour ago, so please report any errors I made since then in the bug-forum.

However: There will always be one (just one!) site the first one to update. Could be me, could be Setisinergy, BOINC.dk, or one of the others.

If SETI exports their stats just after the BOINCstats update, and Synergy updates right after the XML export, guess who's gonna be first :wink:

I'll will be adding some counters to indicate how much time has elapsed since the last XML download, but first I need some sleep (had a long day at work).

2004-10-23 06:46:24

Good job Willy!
Well done.
Although i must admit that it might take some time to get used to it...i was confused at first.
I kinda got used to the credits-since-last-xml-export thingie.
[BOINCstats] Willy

2004-10-23 17:59:39

Here is the list of bugs I created after the coffee ran out (bugs already fixed):
1: sorting on total credit was sorted on credits, not on total_credit (2 different values in the D.
2: forgot to update the search.
3: Project countries were not sorted at all.
4: Typo in daily update. It crashed, and where was I? In the sauna. I restored the database, and reran the update without the typo. I should fire myself, but hey, I need the job....

2004-10-25 22:55:58

I should fire myself, but hey, I need the job....

<!--emo&-->
Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Shoutbox discussion: site update schedule
Reason: