Pages: [1]
Grenadier
BAM!ID: 59
Credits: 12,339,382
World-rank: 45,941

2006-04-07 16:47:21

How about adding an RSS page for the BOINC project news as seen on the front page? I know these are all available separately, but I kind of like the combined view BOINCstats provides.

If there is a way to do this already, I may have missed it. I only started using RSS feeds recently.
Lee Carre

BAM!ID: 41
Credits: 299,581
World-rank: 394,914

2006-04-13 15:54:30
last modified: 2006-04-15 23:46:39

How about adding an RSS page for the BOINC project news as seen on the front page? I know these are all available separately, but I kind of like the combined view BOINCstats provides.

If there is a way to do this already, I may have missed it. I only started using RSS feeds recently.

there's a much better way, with more functionality (and it'll save willy the trouble, also not everyone will be happy with any choice of feeds included, some will want more, some will want less, and it's not really fair to ask willy anyway, i'd rather he work to improve the stats even more rather than fiddle with feeds)

download SharpReader (only available for windows, but i think i read that it'll work in WINE on linux, it's the best one if you've got an windows environment, i'm not sure about others for mac or native linux (you could try one of the various extensions for firefox/mozilla, Sage won an award in the recent extension competition)),

but for sharpreader at least:
make a "BOINC" section, add the feeds you want,
on the left click the "boinc" section (or whatever you've called it) and you'll see all the news grouped together on the right
Want to search the BOINC Wiki, BOINCstats, or various BOINC forums from within firefox? Try the BOINC related Firefox Search Plugins
Rytis
Forum moderator - Developer - Translator
BAM!ID: 6
Credits: 127,679,004
World-rank: 9,040

2006-04-13 17:27:50

• PrimeGrid (http://www.primegrid.com/rss.xml) (currently has server problems i think, it's demanding a username and password which it sholdn't be, maybe rytis is rebuilding the machine?)

• Everything is ok with PG RSS, I tested from two computers. If you still get the request for username, please let me know: rytis.s@gmail.com
    Lee Carre

2006-04-13 19:06:22
    last modified: 2006-04-14 03:37:16

Everything is ok with PG RSS, I tested from two computers. If you still get the request for username, please let me know: rytis.s@gmail.com
    appologies, it's obviously just a problem for me then, oops lol

problem still exists, email sent

[edit]the problem was that for some reason my DNS cache didn't have the latest records, so i was trying to connect to the old IP address, it worked after i flushed the cache [/edit]
    Want to search the BOINC Wiki, BOINCstats, or various BOINC forums from within firefox? Try the BOINC related Firefox Search Plugins
    Grenadier
    BAM!ID: 59
    Credits: 12,339,382
    World-rank: 45,941

2006-04-14 13:32:16

I think what Lee is telling me to do is more or less what I was asking for. I'm just using Firefox to view a very small number of "Live Bookmarks" (Firefox's name for RSS feeds), and it doesn't have the complexity to organize the RSS feeds the way you suggest. Guess I need to look into either an extension or a better RSS reader.

I figured that Willy might already have a combined view, since he has it on the front page of BOINCstats anyway. Guess not.

Thanks for the info.
    Lee Carre

2006-04-16 00:01:49
    last modified: 2006-04-16 00:05:00

I think what Lee is telling me to do is more or less what I was asking for. I'm just using Firefox to view a very small number of "Live Bookmarks" (Firefox's name for RSS feeds), and it doesn't have the complexity to organize the RSS feeds the way you suggest. Guess I need to look into either an extension or a better RSS reader.

well, doing it that way would allow you to customise it exactly how you like, rather than depending on the content of a feed procided by someone else (using sharpreader allows you to view feeds for only "active projects" or "projects in development" or "related sites" or "tools" etc. or just individual feeds, none of that would be possible with a combined feed
    using a good feed reader (like sharpreader) essentially lets you have your own customised view, which is essentially like a combined feed, but much more customisable
    sharpreader is really easy to use anyway, it really is a great feed reader
    Mchl

Translator
    BAM!ID: 4
    Credits: 1,769,989
    World-rank: 154,820

2006-05-06 01:07:34

I am running an RSS aggregating module on my site
    http://www.boincatpoland.org/modules.php?name=Multiheadlines (polish interface only, sorry)

Works quite well, and I am just wondering if I would be able of creating a combined feed out of these...
    I mean, since I got all those feeds in my database already...
    There'd be some problems with filtering out some of the feeds, that are not in English. And something to do with spoiled feed from XrtemLab (most likely delete it). Plus some time to do it...which might be a toughest resource to find.
    [BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
    BAM!ID: 1
    Credits: 350,105,499
    World-rank: 4,518

2008-09-23 10:56:58

I finally added this aggregated BOINC news feed. I use Feedburner to offload the database a bit.

Feed: BOINC projects news headlines.
    Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
    Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Rss Of The Aggregated Boinc News?
    Reason: