Pages: [1]
Tuna Ertemalp

Tester
BAM!ID: 37744
Credits: 20,799,048,922
World-rank: 231

2015-04-01 07:38:32
last modified: 2015-04-01 07:59:56

According to the bottom table on the More Site Statistics page, there are 26 languages at various stages of completion, with 9 of them being at 100%, yet the header of BOINCstats shows 13 flags. Why? Shouldn't it be 9 or 26? Are those only flags of countries with 95% or better completion? If so, that is an arbitrary cut-off. Being Turkish, but living in USA, I don't run my browser in Turkish, but would love to be able to click on the Turkish flag to see what state things are at. Heck, if I find something to be fixed, I might contact the maintainer (who also seems to have gone to the same university as I have) via PM, and result in making things a wee bit better. And, I am sure I won't be the only person doing that. I think putting all 26 flags would be a good thing for the future of BS's localization.

Further thoughts:

• If 95% is really important, then show the 95% ones on the left, next to SEARCH button, like they are right now, then leave some space, and then list the other flags towards the right, in a separate group, possibly sorted with the highest quality on the left, lowest quality on the right.
  • Maybe show the completion% in the tooltip for the language.
  • Speaking of the tooltips, each tooltip should be made of two descriptions: the language name in its own language and the language name in the current language, like "Deutsch, German" if you are in the English version of BOINCstats. Yes, if you are in the German version, then it could say "Deutsch, Deutsch", but it probably shouldn't... :-)
  • Where the heck is the flag for English? I know it is hard to pick a flag for English, but German flag is used for German, and Austrians hopefully don't get too mad. So, it should either be USA or UK.
  • The language maintainer names in that table should be links that lead to their profile so that one can contact them easily via PM instead of first needing to do a search on their name to find their profile.

Thanks for listening!
Tuna

TeeVeeEss
  Donator
Tester - Translator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 2648
Credits: 12,640,776,296
World-rank: 313

2015-04-25 16:18:09

Tuna Ertemalp wrote:
  • Where the heck is the flag for English? I know it is hard to pick a flag for English, but German flag is used for German, and Austrians hopefully don't get too mad. So, it should either be USA or UK.

I guess Willy will answer / comment on the other bullets, I picked the easy one
The last symbol in the list of flags is for the English language. It's supposed to look like the symbol for the United Nations:
Tuna Ertemalp

Tester
BAM!ID: 37744
Credits: 20,799,048,922
World-rank: 231

2015-04-25 16:30:18

Ach sooo... You see, I don't see that flag since I am reading the site in English, thus I didn't even know it existed...

So, all flags should be shown at all times, instead of removing the one for the current language.

Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Why are there 13 flags instead of 26?
Reason: