Pages: [1]

2020-09-28 23:39:36

Willy, I believe that my CPID problems as denoted in the CPID thread is more and more like a bug in the Stats for the following reasons:

1. Two Sundays or 16 days have passed since I had to change email address and Password on all projects individually as well as in BAM. The only change was that last week I lost another two projects.
2. Wrote to all project managers asking to check if their stats are exported. One project replied to say He does not know how to fix the problem and he has no time to find out if I am who I state to be.
3. Wrote to all project managers again and asked them if they are working with WebCode Revision 21603. Not one reply.

Can I do anything else. Perhaps change email and password again to see if they work this time. Your advice would be appreciated.
[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,517

2020-09-29 05:24:51

I think changing your email address again would only make matters worse. Do you have a host which is attached to all projects and has completed a task for each project?
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.

2020-09-29 05:59:35

Thank you will for taking time out to reply. As I do not wish to waste your time and I can kind of wait to resolve this, I will crunch all projects on this host until I receive at least one credit and if it still not working after next Sunday, I will report here again.

2020-10-05 22:21:51

I think there is sufficient proof that there is a Bug in the system and you can not change email addresses/Password without loosing your projects.

Three Sundays plus one day have passed since I have changed mine. Despite the fact that my CPID is the same in the projects as is in BAM I am not receiving credit for my work and projects are not shown in My stats (except Einstein).

My apologies for posting in the CPID thread as well as here but since they are both open and basically dealing with the same subject, its outcome is different.

2020-10-07 04:22:27

I am sorry Willy for bothering you but I must pursue why after 3.5 weeks I am not listing any projects in my detailed Stats, hence loss of 0ver 10Billion credits that I do not know who it belongs to as in my daily projects I am not getti8ng any credit. I am trying to summarize what I have found:

1. My CPID 854e~~is the same as my BAM CPID.

2. Checking all projects individually shows the same CPID.

3. I asked if projects are using Web Code 21603 as you asked and I only received one rep, quote: " Thirdly. Willy the project manage of BoincStats asked me to write to each project and point out my problem and see if they can help. Yesterday, Willy asked again to ask the projects if they have updated the Web Code to revision 21603.":

I ask kindly to please check what version your WebCode is on. Note that I have to ask this to 30 projects that are not showing up in BoincStats after near 14 days wait. The reply from MLC is:

"The server code is v1.2.1, from the server_release/1.2/1.2.1 branch of the BOINC git repository, which is the latest tagged server release.
The DB schema is 27028. As far as I know this is the latest release.."

Note that the code 21603 was not mentioned. I wonder if it is the same with all projects. What I do not understand is that BAM CID is the same as all Projects CID's than why I am not showing any projects. UNLESS: I note that my BOINC user ID is 34996, yet my stats daily credits list me as with user ID: 3933858 listing only dead retired or not active project and even that is only 6.

I ran out of identifying this problem Willy, can you help me?? please.
[BOINCstats] Willy

2020-10-07 13:54:36

I wish I could help, however if a project does not export your stats with the correct CPID there's nothing I can do.
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
[BOINCstats] Willy

2020-10-07 13:56:12

As you can see here is clearly a case of split CPID.

2020-10-12 08:06:55

Thank you Willy for your reply, but surely you must consider that it is a BAM. I tell you way:

1. In four weeks after checking each projects , their CPID was the same as BAM, yet it never merged. I spoke to about this problem to all projects and all I got as a reply that yes, we do export all stats therefore it is a BAM problem, confirmed by a BOINC Committee member.

After the fourth Sunday update nothing changed so I was desperate and reversed the problem by changing my email address back to what is was in the first place, that is now redundant and low and behold the missing projects appeared in my stats.

This proves to me that it is a BAM problem supported by many users that have expressed their opinion and one should never change their email address and PW for BAM does not know how to fix the change over, for it is not in the capability to fix for it is a BAM PROBLEM AS STATED BY ALL.
Xperos

BAM!ID: 90166
Credits: 4,560,516,933
World-rank: 678

2020-10-13 14:22:35
last modified: 2020-10-13 14:26:13

Cruncher Pete wrote:

Thank you Willy for your reply, but surely you must consider that it is a BAM. I tell you way:

1. In four weeks after checking each projects , their CPID was the same as BAM, yet it never merged. I spoke to about this problem to all projects and all I got as a reply that yes, we do export all stats therefore it is a BAM problem, confirmed by a BOINC Committee member.

After the fourth Sunday update nothing changed so I was desperate and reversed the problem by changing my email address back to what is was in the first place, that is now redundant and low and behold the missing projects appeared in my stats.

This proves to me that it is a BAM problem supported by many users that have expressed their opinion and one should never change their email address and PW for BAM does not know how to fix the change over, for it is not in the capability to fix for it is a BAM PROBLEM AS STATED BY ALL.

Hi Cruncher Pete, I'm glad you were able to revert your email which is about your only option in your situation.

I only caught onto your plight the other day and I needed to check some facts before posting so my apologies for being late.

The following is based on my understanding of how BOINC, BOINCstats, BAM and CPID interact.

The reason you have an issue from changing your email address is that in doing so your CPID will change and this risks a split CPID situation, there is no mechanism built into BOINC to merge CPID's, only to propagate them, I guess the original developers did not foresee the need.

In defense of BAM (BOINC Account Manager), this is a service that helps to minimize the pain of managing multiple hosts and projects by allowing you to make changes to the projects and your hosts in a central location and very helpful it is too. There are of course multiple BAM applications available but the BAM built into BOINCstats is my BAM of choice and the one I am referring to here.

However just because BAM is available through the same web interface as BOINCstats you should not assume that it has any influence on the way your stats are collated, BAM and BOINCstats are basically two unconnected applications. Yours stats as reported by the projects you crunch for must remain pure and unadulterated, the only exception I know of is that when projects are retired BAM on BOINCstats will ensure that your stats, within BOINCstats only, will remain tallied even if your CPID changes, there is however a condition that the project must have been included on your BAM account before the project is retired, whilst projects are considered live its hands off as far as BAM tinkering with stats is concerned.

In your case you attempted to change your email which resulted in a split CPID, the reason being that there are a number of "live" projects you crunch for that are currently in limbo, some like GoofyxGrid are not contactable and so you would be unable to update your email address, others like Seti@Home have not exported stats since 16th June 2020 but have not yet been retired and so even if you change your email the stats will not be corrected. The fact that you can see the new CPID within a project does not guarantee the stats until the project has exported your stats with the your new CPID. In addition you have quite a number of retired projects that were not carried over by BAM, presumable because those projects were not included in your BAM account before they were retired.

To shed some light on how CPID operates in the context of the user CPID; Whenever you first sign up for a new project that project assigns you a new CPID, in fact it assigns two CPID's known as internal and external. The internal CPID is never shared publicly, you shouldn't even be able to see it within your project account, the CPID listed there is your external CPID. The difference between the internal and external CPID is that to generate the external CPID the project hashes the internal CPID with your email address and that is why when you change your email address your external CPID changes even when the internal CPID remains the same.

There are four key elements at play which you can see within the <project> section of client_state.xml, they are <email_hash>, <cross_project_id>, <external_cpid> and <cpid_time>. Here <cross_project_id> refers to the internal CPID.

When one of your hosts requests a project update, note you don't need to be actively crunching the project a manual update request will do, your host will check all the projects it knows about in client_state.xml that have the same email_hash and look for the lowest/oldest corresponding cpid_time, it will then send the corresponding cross_project_id and cpid_time to the project server. The project server then checks if the host supplied cpid_time is before its own cpid_time and if so it will update its internal CPID to match that sent by your host, the project will then rehash its external CPID, which because it is derived from your email address and the internal CPID will become the same as all your other projects. This mechanism ensures that all your live and healthy projects with the same email hash have the same internal and external CPID's. This is why Willy recommends you keep at least one host with all your projects registered as that host will be the ultimate arbitrator of the internal CPID. The external CPID should always revert to the oldest known CPID for an email hash.

In short you can change your email address but it will only work seamlessly for live projects that are online and are actively exporting stats, it will not work for projects in a state of limbo or that have been retired unless the retired sites where previously registered to your BAM account. QED register all your projects in your BAM account whilst they are live and never delete them from BAM.

CPID for hosts works in much the same way. An explanation of CPID can be found on the BOINC site here.

BOINCstats and all other stats sites only know about the external CPID and so they can only use that to group your project stats, consequently a split CPID will result in two separate stats listings for the same person or as in your case there appears to be six such listings as pointed out by Willy here, this is down to changes in your CPID over time and not the fault of BAM or BOINCstats.

Reverting to a previous email as you have done should give you back the previous external CPID provided that the internal CPID has not changed in the meantime.

I hope this sheds some light and may help others in a similar situation decide what is the best course of action for them.
Pages: [1]

Index :: BOINCstats Bug Report :: Missing Projects.
Reason: