Pages: [1]

2006-01-08 14:58:00
last modified: 2006-01-08 15:03:04

Hello BOINCstats Team,

All the best for the new year.

I hope it's the right place to post a translation into French.
Here's my contribution on the first page I found not to be translated yet.

Original text at http://fr.boincstats.com/page/sponsors.php
The increasing number of projects, users, teams and hosts is putting more and more stress on the server. In the beginning a shared hosting was sufficient, after a while BOINCstats needed a virtual server and since March BOINCstats runs on a dedicated server. This server has already undergone several upgrades, of which the most significant are more memory and a faster CPU. The current (important) hardware of the server consists of:

* 3GB RAM
* AMD Athlon X2 4400+
* Tyan mainboard (nForce4 ultra)
* Adaptec U160 SCSI controller (PCI-X)
* Quantum Atlas IV 10k-RPM 74GB U160 HD (OS, D
* IBM 80GB 7200RPM HD (XML files, backups)

This is pretty impressive hardware, but it won't be impressive for long.
To illustrate this: the time needed to update all stats increased from 5 minutes (on the shared hosting) to 2.5 hours now (dedicated server + optimized code). When SETI announced the classic shutdown the update time increased with 20 minutes in 4 days time.

To fight this problem I can think up two solutions: reduce the detail of the stats to shorten the update time, or improve the hardware. Nobody wants less detail, so that leaves option two.
The server is not CPU limited. The dual core CPU has enough reserves.

The first bottleneck is hard disk throughput. Moving this to two hard disk in a RAID 0 configuration will improve the throughput with 95%. Moving from 10k-RPM to 15k-RPM hard disk wouldn't hurt either.

The second bottleneck is the SCSI controller. It's a PCI-X card, but the mainboard only supports PCI and PCIe. The best improvement would be a PCIe SCSI RAID controller, but these are hard to get.

The third bottleneck is memory. 3GB is a lot of memory, but the BOINCstats database is growing with 100MB every week, and at the moment (December 17th 2005) the database is 2,6GB. When the database no longer fits into memory the update speed will decrease.

So how can you help?

You can donate a small amount of money to aid in the purchase of better hardware. The previous updates were also partly paid for by donations. Monetary donations can be made through Paypal. (Please don't donate anything less than 1$. Paypal will charge most of this as transaction fee so that would be a waste of your money.)

Companies can donate or sponsor hardware. In return a banner with link can be put on BOINCstats or this page. If you want to donate hardware please contact me by email: willy@boincstats.com.

Thank you very much.
Willy, BOINCstats administrator.

Translation into French :
Le nombre croissant de projets, d'utilisateurs, d'équipes et de machines provoque une montée en charge sur le serveur. Au début, un hébergement partagé suffisait, puis BOINCstats a nécessité un serveur virtuel et depuis le mois de mars, BOINCstats tourne sur un serveur dédié. Ce serveur a déjà subi plusieurs mises à jour matérielles, notamment davantage de mémoire et un processeur plus puissant. La configuration actuelle est la suivante :

* 3Go RAM
* AMD Athlon X2 4400+
* Carte mère Tyan (nForce4 ultra)
* Contrôleur Adaptec U160 SCSI (PCI-X)
* Disque dur Quantum Atlas IV 10k trs/min 74GB U160 (OS, BDD)
* Disque dur IBM 80GB 7200 trs/min (fichiers XML, sauvegardes)

Cette configuration peut sembler impressionnante, mais elle n'impressionnera plus très longtemps.
Un exemple révélateur : le temps nécessaire à la mise à jour de toutes les stats est passé de 5 minutes (sur le serveur partagé) à 2,5 heures aujourd'hui (serveur dédié + code optimisé). Quand SETI a annoncé l'arrêt de Classic, le temps de mise à jour a augmenté de 20 minutes en seulement 4 jours.

Pour résoudre ce problème, il existe deux solutions : réduire le niveau de détail des stats pour raccourcir le temps nécessaire à la mise à jour, ou améliorer le matériel. Personne ne souhaite sacrifier les statistiques détaillées, ce qui ne laisse que l'option deux.
Le serveur n'est pas limité par le processeur. Le dual core a encore une bonne réserve de puissance.

Le premier goulet d'étranglement est le débit du disque dur. Migrer sur deux disques durs en RAID 0 améliorerait le débit de 95%. Passer sur des disques de 15k trs/min ne ferait pas non plus de mal.

Le deuxième goulet d'étranglement est le contrôleur SCSI. Il est en PCI-X alors que la carte mère ne supporte que les PCI et PCIe. Le mieux serait un contrôleur SCSI RAID en PCIe, mais ils sont assez difficiles à trouver.

Le dernier frein est la mémoire. 3Go, c'est beaucoup, mais la base de données BOINCstats grossit de 100Mo chaque semaine et à ce jour (17/12/2005) elle pèse 2,6Go. Quand la base de données ne tiendra plus en mémoire, la vitesse de mise à jour chutera.

Comment pouvez-vous aider ?

Vous pouvez donner une petite somme d'argent pour participer à l'achat de matériel plus performant. Les précédentes mises à jour matérielles avaient déjà été partiellement financées par les dons. Les dons peuvent être faits par Paypal. (Merci de ne pas donner moins de 1$. Les commissions de Paypal sur les transactions sont pratiquement de ce montant et ce serait une pure perte d'argent).

Les entrerprises peurvent faire un don ou sponsoriser du matériel. En retour, un lien en bandeau peut figurer sur BOINCstats ou sur cette page. Si vous voulez donner du matériel, merci de me contacter par email : willy@boincstats.com.

Merci beaucoup.
Willy, administrateur de BOINCstats.

Same page, a little bit further :
How are your donations spend?
The donations are used to pay for the co-locating and bandwidth of the BOINCstats server.
The lucky winner of the BOINC T-shirt is Willie Black. Congratulations!

The same in French :
Comment sont dépensés vos dons ?
Les dons sont utilisés pour payer la co-location et la bande passante du serveur de BOINCstats.
L'heureux gagnant du T-shirt BOINC est Willie Black. Félicitations!

2006-01-08 15:17:20

Translation of the (bad) news :

Today the hard drive in the BOINCstats server failed and caused a server crash. The server rebooted fine, but I fear for the stability of it, as a broken hard drive can’t be good.

The problem is probably the number of DB read/writes needed to update the statistics (which now contain well over nine million records).

I will need to consider about what to do next, as a new SCSI hard drive isn’t exactly cheap to come by.

Aujourd'hui, le disque dur du serveur BOINCstats a planté et a provoqué un crash du serveur. Le serveur a redémarré sans problème mais je crains pour sa stabilité, une défaillance de disque dur n'étant jamais bon signe.

Le problème vient probablement du nombre de lectures/écritures de la base de données pour la mise à jour des statistiques (plus de 9 millions d'enregistrement à l'heure actuelle).

Je vais devoir réfléchir à la suite, car les disques durs SCSI ne sont pas vraiment bon marché.

Note : I don't know if it is possible to get the news in other languages (as it may require some additional programming), but in case it can easily be done, here it is. To translate further news, it might be usefull to find a way to speed up the translation process as news are intended to inform asap.
Any suggestions ?
Son Goku 3SSJ

Forum moderator - Translator
BAM!ID: 8
Credits: 2,572,985
World-rank: 125,261

2006-01-08 17:24:58

I'm sorry but the forum is not the place for translations. Translations are made via a special interface.
If you want to become a translator you can politely ask in this topic: http://www.boincstats.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=555
part of
Wenn jeder an sich denkt, wird an alle gedacht!
Pages: [1]

Index :: Language Errors :: [french] Translation
Reason: