Pages: [1]
Garry
BAM!ID: 5334
Credits: 2,908,082
World-rank: 116,678

2006-09-07 03:17:22

I've been running BOINC and SETI@HOME before it for years. Someone said this is a useful capability for controlling multiple projects. Alas, I haven't been successful in getting it to work. I don't recognize any information in FAQ to be useful. (Sorry!) I don't find reference here in the "Unofficial BOINC Wiki". I have a BOINC Stats account and can log in here. I can't find the way to connect that account to my various project accounts. My project list page is empty. The "Sign-up for projects" page tells me I'm using a "wrong password"; I haven't found a place to designate a password. That same page says I should "Select 'Re-check account' to add an existing project account to your BAM account.", but I can't find any such option to check. Is there another set of instructions somewhere? Thanks in advance.
Cori

BAM!ID: 2
Credits: 69,052,230
World-rank: 13,848

2006-09-07 07:39:34

I guess your BOINCstats account is only for access to these forums and for your stats.
For BAM! (BOINCstats Account Manager) you need a separate sign-up. For more instructions, just click on the BAM!-logo above and it leads you to the step-by-step explanation how you can set up BAM!

Good luck!
Greetings from Cori
Saenger

Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 5
Credits: 221,421,844
World-rank: 6,239

2006-09-07 08:04:34

I guess your BOINCstats account is only for access to these forums and for your stats.
For BAM! (BOINCstats Account Manager) you need a separate sign-up. For more instructions, just click on the BAM!-logo above and it leads you to the step-by-step explanation how you can set up BAM!

Good luck!

AFAIK it's only one account, the same for fora and BAM!.
But the link to the logo is nevertheless the best way to get info
Grüße vom Sänger
Garry

2006-09-08 03:17:06

Thanks, Cori and Saenger. It's always nice to have friendly responses.

You solved one mystery: I could remember having seen those instructions and forgot how to get to them. The BAM! logo worked great.

Alas, the instructions did not. I'm find through step 3. Then there's

"4. Goto "Sign-up for projects" in the BAM menu and select the projects you want to join ("Create account&quot, then click "Start". (This step is optional if you already joined a project)"

All projects I try to "find account" on tell me I'm using the wrong password. I don't think I want to "create account", the only other option for each project. But that seems okay, because this is an optional step, it says.

"5. Goto "Resources" in the BAM menu and select the projects that you want all your new hosts to attach to ("Default attach&quot and click "Update"."

Fair 'nuf, but my "Resources" page has column headers, but no rows populated. I don't see anything related to "Default attach". Clicking "Update" has no apparent useful effect.

Thanks in advance!
Saenger

Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 5
Credits: 221,421,844
World-rank: 6,239

2006-09-08 04:36:54

You have to have the same email and paassword for all the projects and AFAIK case sensitive.
If you already have, I'm lost. Willy should take over with help.
Garry

2006-09-09 03:17:07

You have to have the same email and paassword for all the projects and AFAIK case sensitive.
If you already have, I'm lost. Willy should take over with help.

Saenger,

Thanks again for the assistance. I set passwords for my projects and then realized the whole point was to put the same password on BOINC Stats. Funny thing: once I had all the passwords set right, everything started behaving very differently. I'm up and running. Nice work.

Willy,

(In case you read this!) It took me quite a lot of effort to start using your service. It was my fault, no doubt, but please consider the following possibilities as ways that might help future newbies who think (or don't) the same as I did here:

- The instructions behind the BAM! logo could be somewhat more public. Maybe in the FAQ list. Or maybe put an entry in FAQ pointing to the BAM! logo.

- The concept that I needed to match passwords among your site and all the project sites escaped me somewhere. Maybe it is in your instructions somewhere in such a way that it can be understood; maybe it can be rewritten so it cannot be misunderstand (a more difficult standard, of course!)

Thanks for running this interesting and useful service. I look forward to using it and thus streamlining my BOINC experiences.

. . . Garry
blix01
BAM!ID: 5740
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2006-09-09 12:34:27

I've been running BOINC and SETI@HOME before it for years. Someone said this is a useful capability for controlling multiple projects. Alas, I haven't been successful in getting it to work. I don't recognize any information in FAQ to be useful. (Sorry!) I don't find reference here in the "Unofficial BOINC Wiki". I have a BOINC Stats account and can log in here. I can't find the way to connect that account to my various project accounts. My project list page is empty. The "Sign-up for projects" page tells me I'm using a "wrong password"; I haven't found a place to designate a password. That same page says I should "Select 'Re-check account' to add an existing project account to your BAM account.", but I can't find any such option to check. Is there another set of instructions somewhere? Thanks in advance.

ditto.
same experience.
signed up for boincstats because it was supposed to offer me some new functionality. Used the boincmanager wizard to attach. created a new account. No errors, but .. well.. nothing. my projects dont show up in my projects page.
Pages: [1]

Index :: BOINCstats general :: link to instructions for newbies?
Reason: