Pages: [1]
Sid2

Forum moderator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 28578
Credits: 593,058,630
World-rank: 3,055

2010-07-03 21:54:03

Seems that some like to throw out big words they don't understand. . . .

Since I have again been accused of plagiarism for posting YouTubes and short introductions w/links to interesting topics, here are some of the pertinent rulings on fair use:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.

We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of religion, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc.

We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

TITLE 17 Sec. 107. - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

. . . and:

Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

Odd-Rod
Tester
BAM!ID: 45166
Credits: 1,471,785,574
World-rank: 1,586

2010-07-04 06:02:09

Sid2 wrote:

Seems that some like to throw out big words they don't understand. . . .

Since I have again been accused of plagiarism for posting YouTubes and short introductions w/links to interesting topics, here are some of the pertinent rulings on fair use:

Well done on posting, Sid.

The only parts that could even be questioned are the short quotes, which are never enough to tell the whole story, so 'fair use' would definitely cover that.
For the rest, you are posting links to material. Even the Youtube videos are links, so you are not infringing copyright, any more than I would be infringing copyright if I referred to, say, paragraph 3 page 26 in a specific book.

Keep the interesting posts coming, Sid.

Regards
Rod
Pages: [1]

Index :: BOINCstats general :: Copyright Issues in the Digital Age
Reason: