Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Cesinge
 
BAM!ID: 85217
Joined: 2010-05-10
Posts: 3
Credits: 221,499,452
World-rank: 5,127

2019-07-16 20:29:30

Willy, and others,
Thank you for your help. A setting on Einstein@home did the trick. Only few actually seem to have a setting pertaining to this. Anyway, my account jumped by about 160M million points in day...! Back at 217M now.

I will not further discuss the GDPR reasons behind this as I feel this is not the purpose of this thread.

But from what I see, that explains why I cannot log into WCG any more: I'm not working for them and barely ever log in, so they deleted my account altogether. The others do not seem to go such an extreme way. I'd think a better way would have been to send an email before the radical option - but then, I cannot 100% exclude I missed that.
Bill
 
BAM!ID: 4615
Joined: 2006-08-27
Posts: 325
Credits: 239,388,174
World-rank: 4,868

2019-10-25 02:47:15

Another Project has implemented the GDPR EU requirement.

Climate Prediction

Thanks
Bill F
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2019-10-27 13:46:06

Dr Who Fan wrote:


"a cyberattack that saw hackers gain access to personal information and credit card data of hundreds of thousands of its customers"

Credit card data. Should be kept secret.
How much science you've done. No.
This GDPR is the stupidest thing the EU have done since the cookies notice. And they're both affecting the whole world, not just Europeans.
JohnMD
BAM!ID: 60579
Joined: 2008-10-23
Posts: 105
Credits: 137,070,067
World-rank: 7,183

2019-10-28 20:54:51

@Peter Hucker
Totally agree with respect to cookies.
On the other hand, if URL owners in the EU allow release of contributors' data without permission - regardless of how it happens - they risk substantial fines. This is a big incentive for these URL owners to beef up their security.
Do you have a better alternative for web-protection? How safe do you feel giving information to US homepages ?
Before you purport that some data is more relevant than other data - ALL data is relevant for someone.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2019-10-28 21:04:42

JohnMD wrote:

@Peter Hucker
Totally agree with respect to cookies.
On the other hand, if URL owners in the EU allow release of contributors' data without permission - regardless of how it happens - they risk substantial fines. This is a big incentive for these URL owners to beef up their security.
Do you have a better alternative for web-protection? How safe do you feel giving information to US homepages ?
Before you purport that some data is more relevant than other data - ALL data is relevant for someone.


I disagree completely with your last sentence, it's pointless bureaucracy, wasting the time of everyone, to protect data like "Mr Smith processed 50 Teraflops for SETI today". What should be protected is stuff like bank details, where if stolen could cost people money. And how can you agree with me on cookies but disagree on BOINC data?
JohnMD
BAM!ID: 60579
Joined: 2008-10-23
Posts: 105
Credits: 137,070,067
World-rank: 7,183

2019-11-03 20:48:38

Peter Hucker wrote:

JohnMD wrote:

@Peter Hucker
Totally agree with respect to cookies.
On the other hand, if URL owners in the EU allow release of contributors' data without permission - regardless of how it happens - they risk substantial fines. This is a big incentive for these URL owners to beef up their security.
Do you have a better alternative for web-protection? How safe do you feel giving information to US homepages ?
Before you purport that some data is more relevant than other data - ALL data is relevant for someone.


I disagree completely with your last sentence, it's pointless bureaucracy, wasting the time of everyone, to protect data like "Mr Smith processed 50 Teraflops for SETI today". What should be protected is stuff like bank details, where if stolen could cost people money. And how can you agree with me on cookies but disagree on BOINC data?

@Peter Hucker
Again - I agree entirely that the EU regulation is pointless bureaucracy when it comes to voluntary knowledge contributions. But distributed computer projects are not exempted.
However much we disagree - we can hardly blame EU-based projects for complying. EU has issued monster fines to internet players for non-compliance of EU-directives.
Your last question compares chalk with cheese. Cookies are data written by internet sites on your computer. Your computer data written on an internet site is covered by GDPR.
EU has recently seen the light regarding cookies, and has dropped the requirement for notification and permission. Hopefully they will also see the light regarding non-commercial, unsaleable data - and hopefully soon.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2019-11-03 21:13:59

JohnMD wrote:

Again - I agree entirely that the EU regulation is pointless bureaucracy when it comes to voluntary knowledge contributions. But distributed computer projects are not exempted.
However much we disagree - we can hardly blame EU-based projects for complying. EU has issued monster fines to internet players for non-compliance of EU-directives.
Your last question compares chalk with cheese. Cookies are data written by internet sites on your computer. Your computer data written on an internet site is covered by GDPR.
EU has recently seen the light regarding cookies, and has dropped the requirement for notification and permission. Hopefully they will also see the light regarding non-commercial, unsaleable data - and hopefully soon.


EU seen the light? Well I never thought that would happen. This drop of requirement for cookie notification and permission hasn't made its way to websites yet, I've had to click OK to countless sites in the last week alone.

What's really annoying is the EU's capability to affect people who aren't even in the EU!

I wonder how far society and science could have progressed without red tape, if we just got on and did things.
vincent.feltkamp
 
BAM!ID: 85889
Joined: 2010-05-31
Posts: 1
Credits: 8,947,265
World-rank: 51,477

2019-11-22 10:57:04
last modified: 2019-11-22 10:58:42

[...] wasting the time of everyone, to protect data like "Mr Smith processed 50 Teraflops for SETI today".

well, if i were a hacker, boinc stats would give me very interesting info about where the strong computing power is, so this information is not all that innocuous. After all, a botnet needs computing power also.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2019-11-22 15:06:00

vincent.feltkamp wrote:

[...] wasting the time of everyone, to protect data like "Mr Smith processed 50 Teraflops for SETI today".

well, if i were a hacker, boinc stats would give me very interesting info about where the strong computing power is, so this information is not all that innocuous. After all, a botnet needs computing power also.



If we all lived our lives in fear of others, we'd never get anything achieved.
Nvgnte
Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 20460
Joined: 2007-03-04
Posts: 84
Credits: 49,898,785
World-rank: 14,571

2020-03-28 13:16:24

Hi, m8s... any update on projects applying new privacy law?
I've just "lost" 1,5 m credits 15 days ago, and another 400,000 got lost on two unknown projects...

La Tierra de un Dios que no supo aceptar / su falso derecho a la libertad - Tierra Santa

Descarga mi primer eBook: Amaneceres
Bill
 
BAM!ID: 4615
Joined: 2006-08-27
Posts: 325
Credits: 239,388,174
World-rank: 4,868

2020-03-28 13:42:36

These are the older known projects that abide by EU rules
Albert@home
Climate Prediction
Einstein@Home
LHC@Home
LHCathome-dev
NumberFields@home
VGTU
Universe@Home
World Community Grid
WUProp@Home

And check your stats for "missing" projects
Bill F

Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2020-03-28 16:04:12
last modified: 2020-03-28 16:04:35

Nvgnte wrote:

Hi, m8s... any update on projects applying new privacy law?
I've just "lost" 1,5 m credits 15 days ago, and another 400,000 got lost on two unknown projects...


No credits should be lost. As soon as you tick the box your stats will come through here. The only problem is those that have not consented are not in the stats, so it looks like you're much higher up the league tables than you really are.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2020-03-28 16:07:17

Bill wrote:

These are the older known projects that abide by EU rules
Albert@home
Climate Prediction
Einstein@Home
LHC@Home
LHCathome-dev
NumberFields@home
VGTU
Universe@Home
World Community Grid
WUProp@Home

And check your stats for "missing" projects
Bill F



I'm in the UK, so I've left the EU, and I still have to put up with this. They're ruining the world almost as much as the pathetic panic over the current big flu virus. So many projects not bothering, yet some feel the need to say yes sir?
JohnMD
BAM!ID: 60579
Joined: 2008-10-23
Posts: 105
Credits: 137,070,067
World-rank: 7,183

2020-03-30 12:16:10

Peter Hucker wrote:

I'm in the UK, so I've left the EU, and I still have to put up with this. They're ruining the world almost as much as the pathetic panic over the current big flu virus. So many projects not bothering, yet some feel the need to say yes sir?

The rules don't apply to you - but to the EU-projects that you run. These projects have to get permission from anyybody who wants their data exported.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2020-03-30 21:29:57

JohnMD wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I'm in the UK, so I've left the EU, and I still have to put up with this. They're ruining the world almost as much as the pathetic panic over the current big flu virus. So many projects not bothering, yet some feel the need to say yes sir?

The rules don't apply to you - but to the EU-projects that you run. These projects have to get permission from anyybody who wants their data exported.


Since I am not in the EU, it should not affect me. The projects should only have to ask for people resident in the EU. Same as that stupid cookie notice, which friends in Canada have seen! One day the EU will be dissolved and we can get back to normality.
JohnMD
BAM!ID: 60579
Joined: 2008-10-23
Posts: 105
Credits: 137,070,067
World-rank: 7,183

2020-03-31 09:39:14
last modified: 2020-03-31 10:24:43

@Peter Hucker
Read again !
The EU's GDPR doesn't apply to you or anyone else in the whole wide world. It applies to projects (and any other body) in the EU who store your data. They have to get your permission - even if you live on the moon - to make your data available to third parties.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2020-03-31 17:43:04

JohnMD wrote:

@Peter Hucker
Read again !
The EU's GDPR doesn't apply to you or anyone else in the whole wide world. It applies to projects (and any other body) in the EU who store your data. They have to get your permission - even if you live on the moon - to make your data available to third parties.


That's my point. The EU has no business annoying a non-EU citizen with this rubbish. It should be where the person lives, not where the company is. What about an American company storing data on someone in the EU, does the law apply there?
JohnMD
BAM!ID: 60579
Joined: 2008-10-23
Posts: 105
Credits: 137,070,067
World-rank: 7,183

2020-04-01 04:04:10

Peter Hucker wrote:

JohnMD wrote:

@Peter Hucker
Read again !
The EU's GDPR doesn't apply to you or anyone else in the whole wide world. It applies to projects (and any other body) in the EU who store your data. They have to get your permission - even if you live on the moon - to make your data available to third parties.


That's my point. The EU has no business annoying a non-EU citizen with this rubbish. It should be where the person lives, not where the company is. What about an American company storing data on someone in the EU, does the law apply there?

Peter - I'm not trying to justify EU - I'm just telling it like it is !
Ask yourself - how can EU registered addresses know where their contributors live ? You don't need to tell them.
Even worse - why should projects outside the EU give a toss about EU contributors ?
The idea is to prevent unsolicited advertising/prying/spying from EU databases - why are you against that ?
It's just unfortunate that the legislation doesn't exempt scientific contributions.
Peter Hucker
 
BAM!ID: 7915
Joined: 2006-10-06
Posts: 29
Credits: 1,077,920,958
World-rank: 1,616

2020-04-01 18:08:24

JohnMD wrote:

Peter - I'm not trying to justify EU - I'm just telling it like it is !
Ask yourself - how can EU registered addresses know where their contributors live ? You don't need to tell them.


IP address.

JohnMD wrote:
Even worse - why should projects outside the EU give a toss about EU contributors ?


Because the point is to protect EU citizens surely? Or is the whole idea utterly pointless? No point stopping an EU company spamming me if I still get spam from the US.

JohnMD wrote:

The idea is to prevent unsolicited advertising/prying/spying from EU databases - why are you against that ?


The idea doesn't work. And the projects are not engaged in that, so it doesn't apply to them.

JohnMD wrote:
It's just unfortunate that the legislation doesn't exempt scientific contributions.


Are you sure it doesn't? AFAIK it's for commercial entities, which these projects aren't.
Bill
 
BAM!ID: 4615
Joined: 2006-08-27
Posts: 325
Credits: 239,388,174
World-rank: 4,868

2020-07-05 21:33:27

New Project MLC@Home preferences has enabled the GDPR Export Check Box on the Project Preferences. Please add to the GDPR list.

Bill F
Duke_Ivo
BAM!ID: 237580
Joined: 2020-05-16
Posts: 3
Credits: 39,266,959
World-rank: 17,311

2020-12-08 16:19:20

Where you found GDPR checkbox on those project pages ? I checked Einstein, WCG - can't see any checkbox related to it. Or there was deadline to do it ?

Ivo

Bill wrote:

These are the older known projects that abide by EU rules
Albert@home
Climate Prediction
Einstein@Home
LHC@Home
LHCathome-dev
NumberFields@home
VGTU
Universe@Home
World Community Grid
WUProp@Home

And check your stats for "missing" projects
Bill F



Dr Who Fan
BAM!ID: 1075
Joined: 2006-05-31
Posts: 756
Credits: 114,155,685
World-rank: 8,160

2020-12-08 17:13:17

Duke_Ivo wrote:

Where you found GDPR checkbox on those project pages ? I checked Einstein, WCG - can't see any checkbox related to it.

Login to WCG and follow this link
Check two circles labeled "Display my data" and "Link my devices" click on Save.
Allow 24 to 48 hours for data to show up.
Bill
 
BAM!ID: 4615
Joined: 2006-08-27
Posts: 325
Credits: 239,388,174
World-rank: 4,868

2020-12-09 04:32:06

To Duke__Ivo .... On Einstein sign into your account then click on Preferences at the top, the click on Privacy and the question is the 3rd one down.

Bill F
Duke_Ivo
BAM!ID: 237580
Joined: 2020-05-16
Posts: 3
Credits: 39,266,959
World-rank: 17,311

2020-12-09 17:09:59

Bill wrote:

To Duke__Ivo .... On Einstein sign into your account then click on Preferences at the top, the click on Privacy and the question is the 3rd one down.

Bill F



Thanks - i was looking explicitly for "GDPR". Found / updated. Waiting for results.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Index :: News :: 2018-12-15: BOINCstats - Statistics export consent (4179563)
Reason: