Pages: [1]
Raz

BAM!ID: 17418
Credits: 36,683
World-rank: 1,032,105

2007-02-02 22:02:59

I installed Boinc (5.4.11) as a service, on a P4 HT, running WinXP SP2.

I put in global preference "Do work while computer is in use? No"

Nevertheless, when I use the computer, works are not stopped and CPU is used at 100%.

Is there some known issue?

(I have a second computer, where Boinc was installed as single user, and there the global option works fine, work is stopping as soon as I start to use the PC)
Tank_Master

BAM!ID: 123
Credits: 410,235,608
World-rank: 3,463

2007-02-03 06:07:12

after making changes to you preferences, you need tp do an update on the client side. from time to time, BOINC doesnt find the new updates for whatever reason. you can also try the new 5.8.8 version that was just revently released.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
Raz

2007-02-03 12:20:11

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, this did not help

The global preferences have been several times updated, and it was already on "Run based on preferences". (and as I explained below, we see that these preferences are working in some context, and not in some others)

I have also updated to 5.8.8, but same problem.

So I dig more to find the root of the problem and I think that I may have found the cause: I believe that Boinc does not manage correctly Windows XP "Fast User Switching" feature.

I explain my test.
- After booting the computer, from the "Welcome screen", I logged to User1 (which is the user that is running Boinc Service, as asked during the installation. This user has also Administrator rights), and then Boinc was reacting as wanted (starts 2 minutes after idle and stop when I start to be active as set in my global preferences).
- I switched back to the welcome screen (without log-off of User1), and logged in to the User2 account (This user does not have Administrator rights). Here Boinc was not working as expected. Even I am using the computer, the tasks are starting (and this "exactly" 2 minutes after I have left User1). I also waited few minutes without using the computer, and then started to be active again, but no effect, tasks continued to run instead of being suspended.
- Then I returned to the welcome screen (without log-off of User2), and went back to User1. Then the tasks get suspended at once, and every thing worked again as expected (start after 2 min idle, stop when active)
- Then I logged off User1 and went back to User2, and as first time, Boinc did not work as expected, with tasks always running.

I tried then opposite. I rebooted the computer and
- I logged first in to the User2 account. Boinc worked as expected.
- I switched the to User1 account (without log-off of User2), and here tasks started even I was using the computer and did not stop after I was active after an idle period
- I switched back to User2 (without log-off of User1), and this time Boinc worked as expected, stopping at once when active, starting after enough idle.
- I switched again to User1 (without log-off of User2), and as first time, Boinc was always running.
- I switched back to User2 (Boinc stopped at once again) and then log-off User2.
- returned to User1, and again Boinc was running without stopping when being active.

I made another test. I rebooted the computer and
- I logged in to User2 account, and Boinc was working correctly.
- Then I logged-off from user2 and logged in User1. This time, not as when just switching, Boinc was working correctly also.

IMHO, it shows that Boinc do not work correctly when several users are using the computer under WinXP, as it seems that tasks do not start or stop based on the current user activity, but somehow on the first user that logged in the computer
Tank_Master

BAM!ID: 123
Credits: 410,235,608
World-rank: 3,463

2007-02-03 17:25:01

From your post, it would appear that BOINC only monitors the first account that someone loges into. It may be more difficult to monitor more than one account, and given that not many people actually do this, it may not be a high priority to fix.
Raz

2007-02-03 21:59:30
last modified: 2007-02-03 22:00:02

given that not many people actually do this, it may not be a high priority to fix.

I do not fully agree. For work computers, it is true that it is probably very few used. But for all people that use computers at home, this is quite common (I have a lot of friends that does the same), that "husband", "wife", and childrens share the same computer, with different account for each. If it is not fixed, you may loose a big potential of home users.

Hellasverona
BAM!ID: 23944
Credits: 143,843
World-rank: 573,066

2007-05-10 02:46:09

Hello!

I get life to yhis tread saying i have the same problem Raz has.
On my laptop, with host preferences set in "Do work while computer is in use? No",
it semms to work only partially.
On this machine I work with Win XP as single user, so I don't think the issue is related to multiple accounts.I watched it for a while, and it seems to present totally random. If I get active, somtimes work stops, sometimes no. Anyway, if this is the case, giving the command Tools/Sincronize with Boincstats it suspends work.

I hope this can help you guys to get an idea of what is wrong.

Ciao
Rakarin

BAM!ID: 1019
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2007-05-10 11:58:16

I installed Boinc (5.4.11) as a service, on a P4 HT, running WinXP SP2.

I put in global preference "Do work while computer is in use? No"

Nevertheless, when I use the computer, works are not stopped and CPU is used at 100%.

There is one thing to keep in mind. You said your PC is "P4 HT".

HyperThreading *emulates* a dual core processor without actually *being* a dual core processor. You have one CPU, but the hardware can start roughly twice as many process threads on the processor. If different threads use different instruction sets (transistor fields on the CPU) on each cycle, you get much better utilization of the CPU, and thus better speed. If the threads use the same instruction sets, HT is supposed to have good task switching/sharing built in.

However, the Windows process manager only sees one CPU. On the original Windows XP (or perhaps it was Win 2000, can't remember), I've seen a HT processor running at "130%" total and up, though any one thread will only run at 99% (technically, the max for one processor, as there is only one processor).

So, what may be happening is BOINC sees the "first processor" (first virtual core) is in use, and will not touch it. However, there is a "second processor" (second virtual core of the HT processor), and it is not in use, and so BOINC runs on the "second processor". However, both cores are actually the same processor, and so your CPU gets 99% usage from BOINC.
Pages: [1]

Index :: BOINC :: "Do work while computer is in use" when using Service
Reason: