Pages: [1]
Nuadormrac
BAM!ID: 75286
Credits: 16,689,182,901
World-rank: 263

2009-11-23 18:19:18
last modified: 2009-11-23 18:21:22

OK, in the past this wouldn't have been bothersome, but now I'm left with a suggestion here. Needless to say, the US economy and unemployment suck. And for this reason, my prior broadband is gone, and I'm stuck on dialup for the time being. 56k modems aren't, well my old connection was 20 Gbps, but umm yeah unemployment.

So now, this project wants to upload a 76 MB file, to go along with it's executable (not a project's own specific task per se). I know from past experience the remote model WILL HANG UP/disconnect me before I can remain connected long enough to get 76 MB. This would have nothing to do with a PC problem, and more to do with a dialup ISP limitation on modem useage from their pool. If instead of failing, they'd allow one to just simply resume a prior download (what happens in web browsers and elsewhere), it could simply auto-redial, and continue. I've got 30-40 MB before, but 76 is pushing it with a single dialup session with this ISP. Anyone thought of giving some relief of this sort to those who are currently stuck on dialup?
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,737
World-rank: 5,626

2009-11-24 05:44:06

I would suggest you take your suggestion over to the BOINC forums... Don't know if the devs would consider it a high-priority feature though, since the number of people with dialup keeps getting smaller every day.

What project has such a large upload file? Is it a normal occurance? Perhaps find some WiFi to upload the unit, and find a project with smaller files?
ebahapo

BAM!ID: 239
Credits: 18,928,018
World-rank: 34,023

2009-11-24 15:50:18

This would probably complicate the server side quite a bit, so I doubt that it would be adopted. However, just like there are memory and disk limits, there could be a download limit so that you wouldn't get a WU larger or whose result is larger than what your connection can handle.

HTH
Nuadormrac
BAM!ID: 75286
Credits: 16,689,182,901
World-rank: 263

2009-11-25 03:05:37

It's not an upload file, but rather the project's support libraries to their own .exe file. It's part of their science app itself. Edges sends this 76 MB .lib file in addition to their crunch app.

And not really a limit on what the PC can handle; more they need a means to allow people to recover downloads, rather then have them fail straight out, if it can't be taken in a big chunk. Thing is this; though many of us had moved from dialup (I had back in 1998), it isn't out of the picture, certainly in the United States where the economy is crap, and there are people being forced back to it due to job and bill issues. Keep in mind the news reports of people losing their homes here, the housing market, the foreclosures, and what not. Continuing to be able to pay one's broadband bill is the least of one's concerns, with the nation's economy headed where it's been going. And I'm one of the people struck by this, and one of the people the unemployment statistics doesn't count as it under-states the issue. Largely because I got denied benefits on a bureaucratic technicality (worked the number of required weeks since moving for a job last year; so the NJ unemployment offices ruled "yeah you worked the 20 weeks here, but because you didn't make the $143 in each of 20 pay periods.... When I started work, there were no employee numbers sent from corporate to be entered into payroll data; so the first weeks worked got recorded on paper, then got added as additional pay on the first pay check. They chose to count that as weeks worked without pay, wtf?) Well anyhow, it's that bad, and in this market, watch that some previously on broadband will be forced back to dialup, until this market gets out of the deep recession it's in.
ebahapo

BAM!ID: 239
Credits: 18,928,018
World-rank: 34,023

2009-11-25 16:00:25

I understand now. Indeed, resuming a download should be pretty easy on the client side and trivial on the server side. The final file is checked against a check-sum by default already and this could also be used to check the integrity of the final file.

I'm sorry to hear about your employment situation. My heart goes out to you, wishing you all the best.
Jord
BAM!ID: 18
Credits: 22,262,191
World-rank: 30,428

2009-11-26 15:30:04

Nuadormrac wrote:
It's not an upload file, but rather the project's support libraries to their own .exe file. It's part of their science app itself. Edges sends this 76 MB .lib file in addition to their crunch app.

By using a cc_config.xml file in the BOINC Data directory and enabling the <file_xfer_debug> flag, you can see what path this file is downloaded from. Once you know this path, you can put it in a browser and download it at your leisure.

2009-11-26 15:48:10

Ageless wrote:
Nuadormrac wrote:

By using a cc_config.xml file in the BOINC Data directory and enabling the <file_xfer_debug> flag, you can see what path this file is downloaded from. Once you know this path, you can put it in a browser and download it at your leisure.

compressed with 7z it shrinks to 30m, so maybe someone could send it via e-mail..
PovAddict
BAM!ID: 115
Credits: 5,785,239
World-rank: 76,277

2009-11-27 21:13:04

I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about. BOINC has always supported resuming of interrupted downloads (and uploads).
Not running BOINC anymore for several reasons...
Pages: [1]

Index :: BOINC :: Suggestion: download manager functionality for BOINC
Reason: